cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing picture style on Rebel XS from monochrome to standard?

jaceptv
Apprentice

Hey guys, 

I'm going to Manhattan for a few days to shoot some street photography. I usually take photos in the monochrome setting in the menu under "Picture Style". I was wondering if there was a way to change the picture style back to regular from the camera after the photo has been taken?

Thanks so much!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you set the camera to B&W and shoot JPEGs there is no way to get the color back. If you shoot in RAW, all the color information is saved and the RAW development just shows the image in B&W - depending on your RAW processor: DPP might be the only one that will display a RAW in B&W.

So, if you are in JPEG, it is usually best to shoot in color and convert to B&W in post. That way you can play with different conversions and filters.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

axepilot
Contributor

Select RAW / JPEG on your menu. Edit the RAW images on your computer.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you set the camera to B&W and shoot JPEGs there is no way to get the color back. If you shoot in RAW, all the color information is saved and the RAW development just shows the image in B&W - depending on your RAW processor: DPP might be the only one that will display a RAW in B&W.

So, if you are in JPEG, it is usually best to shoot in color and convert to B&W in post. That way you can play with different conversions and filters.

awesome, thanks!

You should be using Raw file format. Then forget all the other settings except exposure. You can make it whatever you want in post editing.

A Raw file is simply luminosity which is stored as ones and zeros.  You editor converts it to whatever jpg settings you made in camera but in no way does it alter or change the Raw file. The jpg settings are only used to make a viewable image which a Raw file is not. You can make it B&W, full color, or green or blue or whatever. And, do it as often as you like and never change or damage your original Raw file.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements