cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Owner Name RebelXT

LSchaefer33
Contributor

I received a used canon rebel XT as a gift.  I would like to change the owner name that is embedded in the digital information on each photo.

I have spent some time researching and it seems i need to make the change using the EOS utility or maybe ZoomBrowser.  When i go to downloads for the RebelXT there is no EOs utility available.

I downloaded the utility for a different model,  but the option to change camera settingss is grayed out.

How in the world do I change the information and/or get the proper EOS utility?  I realize I can manually change the author name in the file info of each photo, but given the number of photos it would be much prefereable to have the correct name embedded to begin with.

Thank you for any help!!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

thank you that's helpful. I will do that if nothing else, so my son-in-laws name is not on all my photos!

View solution in original post

Tim
Authority

Hello LSchaefer33, 

Yes, connecting the camera with EOS Utility is the appropriate way to make the owners name change.  However, the EOS Rebel XT is not able to connect to modern operating systems with the current versions of EOS Utility, which is why you do not see versions available. 

It can connect in PTP mode to download photos but not through EOS Utility, instead you'd be using the operating systems built in imaging tools to establish a direct download more akin to how a card reader operates.  If you have an old computer and prior versions of the software, it would be possible to connect the camera and enact the change.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Lightroom and possibly DPP4 can do this for you.  It won't change the camera but it will correct the photos.

Metadata is a set of standardized information about a photo, such as the author's name, resolution, color space, copyright, etc., and keywords applied to it.  To avoid file corruption in a Raw file, XMP metadata is stored in a separate file called a sidecar file. Other file formats supported by Lightroom, like jpg and dng, the XMP metadata is written into the files in the location specified for that data. You can set this as a preset and it will do it upon import without any action or input from you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

11 REPLIES 11

thank you that's helpful. I will do that if nothing else, so my son-in-laws name is not on all my photos!

@LSchaefer33 wrote:

Your son-in-law is the one who changed the name using the "EOS Utility" software on his computer. Take the camera back to him and have him change the name or delete it. 

Mike Sowsun

thnx for the suggestion!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You have to contact Canon and see if anyone there has the original XT CD. Then you have to find a computer to run it.

thanks, when I click contact canon I keep getting re-routed to support pages with no email link. if you know of a way to contact them please let me know. thanks so much for your help!

Call Them.

1-800-652-2666

thank yo u!

Tim
Authority

Hello LSchaefer33, 

Yes, connecting the camera with EOS Utility is the appropriate way to make the owners name change.  However, the EOS Rebel XT is not able to connect to modern operating systems with the current versions of EOS Utility, which is why you do not see versions available. 

It can connect in PTP mode to download photos but not through EOS Utility, instead you'd be using the operating systems built in imaging tools to establish a direct download more akin to how a card reader operates.  If you have an old computer and prior versions of the software, it would be possible to connect the camera and enact the change.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Lightroom and possibly DPP4 can do this for you.  It won't change the camera but it will correct the photos.

Metadata is a set of standardized information about a photo, such as the author's name, resolution, color space, copyright, etc., and keywords applied to it.  To avoid file corruption in a Raw file, XMP metadata is stored in a separate file called a sidecar file. Other file formats supported by Lightroom, like jpg and dng, the XMP metadata is written into the files in the location specified for that data. You can set this as a preset and it will do it upon import without any action or input from you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements