cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Aperture

khopev
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to change the aperture. I am watching youtube videos and they are telling me to press down the the Av button while I turn the button right behind the shutter button. It is not changing it at all. Is that an error? I have a Canon Rebel T6. Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19

"I am in M, lens is 18-55m, across the top of the screen it reads 1/200, f5.6, iso 400."

You do know that you have to set each thing yourself in M mode.  The lens, the SS and ISO.  You must set the lens to f5.6 and set the camera to a SS of 1/200.  And fix the ISO at 400. I am just trying to assess your photographic level.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@khopev wrote:

Hello,

they are telling me to press down the the Av button while I turn the button right behind the shutter button.

The instructions you quote are correct if you want to shoot specifically in full Manual mode. 

If all you want to do is control the Depth of Field (i.e. what's in focus), and have the camera set up the shutter speed, then you are better off to set the camera to Av on the mode dial.  The following instructions work for that.  I would recommend using Av mode if you are just starting off.

1.  You FIRST turn the mode dial to Av. 

That now sets the camera to allow you to select the aperture and it will select the shutter speed and (if you have auto ISO set, that too). 

2.  Look through the viewfinder and GENTLY half-press the shutter to see the current settings.

3.  THEN immediately after releasing your finger from the shutter button, and using the same finger, turn the dial directly behind the shutter button to the desired value to change the Aperture.  If you look through the viewfinder while doing so you should see the aperture value change.

Note: you will not see a significant change in what appears to be in focus, that is because the camera continues to keep the aperture fully open to let you get the most light for composition until you take the shot. It will then set the aperture and shoot.

4.  Once you have the desired setting fully press the shutter button. 

I recommend downloading the manual (if you don't have one) HERE and read that.   Av is explained on P110.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I agree with you ernie. With no indication of experience I think our OP has over reached himself in using M mode. Better off in ptogram or Av.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

" Better off in ptogram or Av."

Absolutely Smiley Happy

EB

@Tronhard wrote:
I agree with you ernie. With no indication of experience I think our OP has over reached himself in using M mode. Better off in ptogram or Av.

The original question was associated with a tutorial video the OP was apparently watching, and following along.  It seems adjusting shutter speed was not an issue.  When they came to the part to adjust Aperture, it was not working.  Manual mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

The original question was associated with a tutorial video the OP was apparently watching, and following along.  It seems adjusting shutter speed was not an issue.  When they came to the part to adjust Aperture, it was not working.  Manual mode.

Hi Bill:

I had hopefully approached that when I posted my first comment: i.e. that the process he outlined was specific to Manual.  Frankly I think we all need some context as to what the OP was trying to achieve and perhaps his level of experience.  The video instructions seem to match those in the manual for M mode - I think I even found the video clip on Youtube, and Manual mode was the first mode demonstrated (which seemed a bit odd to me, but whatever...).

I get the impression that the OP is new to this, which is fair enough.  Still, more information from them would help

cheers, TREVOR

Csturgill2
Apprentice
Some lenses have trouble with aperture. I'm having the same problem with a Laowa Ultra Macro 2.5-5.0

As I recall that is a totally manual lens so the camera will not ever change the aperture. Remember to set release shutter without lens, too. Even with fully automatic off brand lenses there is no guarantee they will work properly.

EB

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

@khopev wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to change the aperture. I am watching youtube videos and they are telling me to press down the the Av button while I turn the button right behind the shutter button. It is not changing it at all. Is that an error? I have a Canon Rebel T6. Thank you!

khopev,

I have a T6 also. If you don't mind a couple of suggestions:

1) Set your camera to Av mode. That's the little dial right next to your on/off switch.

2) Rorate the little wheel right behind your shutter button. This will change your aperture. The camera will automatically change your shutter speed, depending on the aperture you choose. The larger the aperture you choose (like 4 or 5.6) will let in more light than if you choose a smaller aperture like f8 or f11).

3) Press your Q button and pick a smaller ISO number such as ISO 100. You can also accomplish this by pressing the ISO button on the back of your camera.

I think you will wind up with better pictures.

Steve Thomas

Announcements