cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card write protected error

DriveByShooting
Contributor

So I have a an older Canon EOS Rebel XSI. I just bought a new High Performance SDHC Memory Card 16 GB. No matter what I do I can't get it to work. I flip the notch on the side, up down middle so forth. It keeps saying Card write protected. I have probably had about 20 differnt cards in the last12 years. I never had it not work. I am unsure if it is states it is High performance or what. I personally think it is a bad card. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DriveByShooting
Contributor

Well I bought a new card. It worked. I think it was a bad card. Thankfully Walgreens took it back and refunded me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do other cards give the same error? If yes, then the switch in the camera that senses where the write protect switch on the card is positioned may be sticking. If not it would seem like a card problem. Can you put the card in a reader or a computer and try to format it?

SDHC is the key identification, which is compatible with your camera. Terms like High Perfromance, Extreme Pro etc are marketing terms.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DriveByShooting
Contributor

Well I bought a new card. It worked. I think it was a bad card. Thankfully Walgreens took it back and refunded me.

@DriveByShooting wrote:

Was it the same type of card? I might have guessed that a 16 GB SDHC card might be too modern for an XSI.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cbpick
Apprentice

Yesterday, every card I put in the camera said it was locked, even though none of them were. If the switch in the camera that senses where the write protect switch on the card is positioned, is sticking, is that something i can fix? 

@cbpick wrote:

Yesterday, every card I put in the camera said it was locked, even though none of them were. If the switch in the camera that senses where the write protect switch on the card is positioned, is sticking, is that something i can fix? 

I have no idea whether or not you have the skills to fix it.  If you have to ask, then I do not recommend attempting it.  Did you look inside of the slot for dirt or foreign debris?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements