cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Reader wont connect to computer.

BML
Contributor

I have had a digital Canon EOS 300D camera for a few years and my Windows 10 computer for a year or so and whenever I wanted to download photos I took the SanDisc 256mb out of the camera, placed it into a “hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 9in1” and plugged it into a USB socket. It never opened automatically so I used to click onto the “This PC” icon and then clicked onto whichever USB Icon showed a coloured line indicating content.

I did this today and nothing happened so I tried a number of USBs carrying data and they all worked. I then tried the card reader with my laptop and it worked so there is no fault with the card reader.  I still uses Windows 7 with the Laptop.

In the meantime I thought that I would connect the Camera to my Windows 10 computer but there is no detail in my Canon instruction book so I wonder if anyone could point me towards where I may find some. Many thanks.

A person who helps me when I have computer problems said that it might be a driver issue and he suggested I open Device Manager while the card reader is plugged in, find the card reader in the devices list, right click on it and select uninstall device. Restart the computer and see if the card reader then works, this should trigger the device driver to be re-installed but I didnt have the courage.

I just had another thought which is having been reading a computer magazine about the importance of keeping Windows 10 up to date I checked mine last Saturday and uploaded a load that I thought were supposed o come automatically so I wonder if any of them would have made a change to my ability to use a card reader.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try switching camera to PTP in the Menu system and then connect camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ray-uk
Whiz

Windows should tell you in device manager whether the card reader is working properly. It might be worth trying the card reader in a different usb socket on your PC, this sometimes gets things started again.

If you don't want to uninstall and reinstall the card reader then go back into device manager and click on "update driver" for the card reader.

jrhoffman75, "Try switching camera to PTP in the Menu system and then connect camera." 

Its funny that you should suggest the above because someone else suggested that last night which I did and nothing happened. Then this morning I followed another piece of advice which told me to go into Device Manager, reinstalled the drivers on the card readers.  I did as you suggested above and nothing happened yet I just tried that again and dam me if it didn’t work, although a lot slower than a card reader, so thank you very much

Ray-uk Windows should tell you in device manager whether the card reader is working properly. It might be worth trying the card reader in a different usb socket on your PC, this sometimes gets things started again. If you don't want to uninstall and reinstall the card reader then go back into device manager and click on "update driver" for the card reader.

This is the first time I ever had reason to use the Device Manager but I could see nothing there that suggested any of what looked like a card reader was not working correctly. I did try the card reader in the two USB sockets on the front of my Desktop and the two on my device which I think is a USB Hub. I did uninstall and reinstall the card readers and updated the drivers but as I said above there was no change until I just had another go at connecting the camera and switching it to PTP. All very strange and I still want to get back to using a card reader as its faster but I might just buy a new one and see if that provokes a behaviour change when I plug it in.

But thank you both very much because at least I have made progress.

BML
Contributor

Today I received a hama USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader SD/microSD/CF/Memory stick/xDCard which I ordered as my hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 9in1 failed to work on my Windows 10 computer although it would work on my Windows 7 Laptop.  The new hama works perfectly so I can only assume that the Windows 10 computer had refused to work with my elderly Canon EOS 300D.

Announcements