cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon t5i lcd shuts off after taking pictures

khrisxtine
Contributor

I just received my Canon T5i.. I noticed that the LCD screen will shut off sometimes after taking pictures or videos. I'm not sure why.. I didn't press the "info" button and It won't turn back on even If I press the shutter button half way.. I know the camera is still on though because if I tap the screen it'll take a picture and that picture will be saved on the card (after I shut off the camera completely and wait a few minutes and turn it back on)..

When the LCD is off, I can't get it on.. I'll tap the screen, and try to press the display button to view photos, but it won't turn back on.. 

and yes, I have disabled the automatic lcd shut off etc.. 

Here is a quick video I shot to kind of show you what I'm experiencing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroZa5xLduM

Do I have a defective camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I noticed in her video that she is in Lieview, takes a photo, and then the photo does not appear, and there is no more Liveview display.  She then presses the Liveview button and nothing happens. There is no option I can think of that allows you to turn off the rear LCD screen when you are in Liveview. That tells me the camera is defective.  

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Looking at your video I would say that is not normal behavior.   

If you can, I would return to the store where you bought the camera and have them exchange it for another one.  If not then return it to Canon for warranty repair. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for the response. I definitely will exchange it for another one!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not convinced the camera is defective,...yet!

First make sure you set it back to factory defaults. Make sure you do not have the LCD screen turned off.

Make sure you are not in M mode. Set that back to the green box.

Go out side and take some normal well lighted stills. Does it work now? Next try your movie mode, outdoors in good light.

Does it work now?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've reset the camera settings back to factory. It doesn't happen after every single picture or video. It doesnt matter what lighting, I've shot inside and outside.. it'll take the picture or video but immediately after, the lcd will shut off.. it's still on because I can still snap pictures but the lcd well be off..

I noticed in her video that she is in Lieview, takes a photo, and then the photo does not appear, and there is no more Liveview display.  She then presses the Liveview button and nothing happens. There is no option I can think of that allows you to turn off the rear LCD screen when you are in Liveview. That tells me the camera is defective.  

Mike Sowsun

Anybody can miss a single setting and conclude there is something wrong with the camera, especially one as complex as a T5i. That is why all settings must be set back to factory defaults and the camera tried in know good light. Removing all batteries and a reboot. Even have another person try it. Try a different lens, etc.

Her camera is possibly defective but these simple steps may save a return and all it's unpleasantness.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've done this again, going to have my brother in law take a look acc try it out.

If it does the same thing, I will just go ahead and exchange it.

I'm kind of thinking of exchanging it for either canon 60d or 70d 🙂 or just stick with the t5i lol.

Are you running the latest 1.1.3 firmware?

Bob
"Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do."

Just wanted to update everyone, I sent it in to canon after speaking with someone and it was infact defective.

Their report stated that the main PCB did not operate properly causing the lcd to not display an image.  However, when It was away for repair, I decided to test out the canon 70D and decided to keep that one instead and have returned the T5i.

Thanks everyone that responded!

Announcements