cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon rebel t6, is it any good?

NiganKhan
Apprentice

Hello everyone,,

I'm a student filmmaker (oh no, not another one of these ones), and I'm looking to buy my first camera to start shooting my short films. Recently I found a kit on sale, which contains a Canon Rebel t6 with two lenses (18-55, 75-300)

The price that I pay for the kit is 796,19 dollars (have in mind I live in a country where the prices have gone very up, so yeah, its pretty expensive)

Now, I know that the equipment doesn't make the filmmaker, and a good film can be done with anything, but I'm sick of shooting with cheap ass rented cameras. I want to own one that I can take with me and start planing my videos.

Is it worth it? or is there any other camera that worths more the bucks? If I throw a few more dollars, can I get something really better?

8 REPLIES 8

The T6 is a good entry-level camera, but one a serious photographer is likely to soon outgrow. And on any DSLR, video tends to be an afterthought. I suggest that you download the manual and verify that it has the features you (and your instructors) think you'll need.

Also, be very suspicious of kits, other than those put together by Canon itself. They often contain mediocre lenses and a lot of useless junk. They're rarely as good a buy as their sellers would have you believe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Bob is correct regarding video being an after thought. It is especially true of the T6. For one, the T6 lacks mic input, so you will be forced to rely on the built in mic.

The T6 is good for recording short video clips of kids running around the yard to show grandparents. But that is about it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I found a kit on sale, which contains a Canon Rebel t6 with two lenses (18-55, 75-300)"

Any camera and kit is better than no camera and kit.  However, I would rather anybody that is considering the T6 to check out the T6i instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_
Authority

You can get the T7i from B&H Photo right now with one lens, a bag and an SD card for a tiny bit more money, $799

@John_ wrote:

You can get the T7i from B&H Photo right now with one lens, a bag and an SD card for a tiny bit more money, $799

That is a decent deal at B&H.  I believe that is the list price for the camer kit alone.  The Canon Online Refurbished Store is selling the Cannon camera kit w/lens for 20% off list price.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

You can always buy a memory card, and a biggerr bag from B&H.  I recommend buying a bag that is slightly bigger than what you think you need.  You need room for accessories, plus room to new lenses as you add them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

devemarko
Apprentice

Take a look at the new Canon SL3. It has the ability to record 4k videos. It's a really amazing feature for an entry-level DSLR.

" I recommend buying a bag that is slightly bigger ..."

Its probably best to not get a bag right off unless you just like buying bags.  You don't really know where this is going yet.

"Take a look at the new Canon SL3"

Yes, a good choice, I agree.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

@NiganKhan wrote:

Is it worth it? or is there any other camera that worths more the bucks? If I throw a few more dollars, can I get something really better?

I also started with the T6. It was enough to help me learn about DSLR photography, which doesn't sound like something you are interested in, being a budding "filmmaker."  That said, I do not understand why so many wannabe filmmakers choose DSLRs instead of camcorders.It is the wrong tool for people who aren't intersted in stills photography. As Ernie and others mentioned, the video capablity of these basic cameras is rudiementary. I suggest you take stock of the direction you want to  go in. Look in to camcorders if that is where your interest lies. Buy a DSLR when you become interested in photography. Until then, I recommend the Canon XF100 HD to get your started. Don't know what it costs in your country, but here it is around $1500. 

Announcements