cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon rebel t4i pictures are way over exposed through veiwfinder always but great through live view

Dizzymisslizzie
Apprentice
My canon rebel t4i consistently has bright over exposed pictures through the viewfinder but on same settings are great through live view mode. I've tried many settings and resetting to factory settings. Everything I can think of... Not sure if it's my sensor or maybe my lens ( I only have the one it came with) any help at all would be appreciated I just can't figure it out... I can use the exposure compensation which helps a bit... It also doesn't seem to do it when taking flash photos a lot of the time... Help?!!!!
17 REPLIES 17

Thanks ebiggs1.  Unfortunately I didn't find that clearing the camera settings and/or custom functions helped in this case.

Sorry.  A trip tp Canon Service may be in your future. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am from the Philippines. I have the same problem. I usually set my camera exposure compensation down to 2 stops to get a more or less the right exposure.   I called up canon philippines regarding my problem and they acknowledged that they have encountered these kind of problem and needed the camera to be serviced.   Definitely this camera will have a trip to local canon service center.

Hi Guys,

Any updates or possible causes for this problem ??

I have the same problem and the recommended Canon repair center in the UK are saying that they cannot find anything wrong with the camera. On reading their reply it seems to tell me that, yes, they confirm that there is something wrong with the camera.

Their Reply:

"The technician has checked the images and gone over the camera again. Unfortunately we still have not been able to replicate any issues. There will be slight variations between shots taken through the view finder to live view. We had noticed that all three shots, your shutter speeds a quite slow and you have evaluative metering set, which has meant that all shots, including the live view image, are all slightly over exposed."

I had supplied them with 3 pairs of images, each pair had one taken through the Viewfinder and another using Liveview, all taken within seconds of each other and all taken on a tripod so as not to alter the frame or metering and all of different subjects.All images were taken in AV mode, F8, ISO100 same lens.

My slight variations !! are almost one stop!

Shutter speeds too slow !! (actual speed range on images were 1/80 to 1/250, all on tripod, so no variance on framing)

Using Evaluative Metering !!, surly this should not cause this problem, all shots taken within seconds of each other, also said, causing all shots to be slightly over exposed !!!!

Would be really grateful if anyone that had the same problem could let me know how it was resolved for them or what would fix the problem.

Hello. I'm from Poland and I have the same problem. It looks that I will send camera to service.

My slight variations !! are almost one stop!

Actually, less than 1 stop can be "normal".  Without knowing what the photo and subject was, 1 stop is feasible.

Using Evaluative Metering !!, surly this should not cause this problem, all shots taken within seconds of each other, also said, causing all shots to be slightly over exposed !!!!

And evaluative metering can lead to over exposure in seom cases.  Maybe you should try the same test in the other metering modes.

I am not saying the texh was right. Just your tests are not conclusive of a defective camera.  Improper technic can account for both of those.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

fkenned1
Apprentice

Were you ever able to solve this issue? Did you get your camera serviced. My camera is experiencing the exact same issue, althought it's the t5i. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Never did get the problem sorted, just have to adjust in PhotoShop afterwards.

Very poor service from Canon

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements