Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon "Original" LP-E8 or go for third party batteries in 2021? For 550D, 600D, 650D, and 700D

I have a 600D and maybe 700D that I want to keep on going, and I need more batteries for it. Any point getting new "Original" batteries anymore in 2021? Does Canon even make them anymore? I'm thinking not and the batteries are knockoffs. I see dates printed on these from 2019 to 2021.

Should I just get third party batteries like Wasabi, Smatree, or Durapro? Or should I consider getting used "Original" batteries? I've seen them with 2010 upwards printed on them.

If I do get get a "Original" battery new or used, my basis for verifying authenticity is mainly by weighing them, 2nd by looking at the print quality.

Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon "Original" LP-E8 or go for third party batteries in 2021? For 550D, 600D, 650D,

Why ever risk issues by going with 3rd party batteries?  You spent far more money on the camera itself.

I personally only use Canon batteries.  And only ever purchase from reputable vendors (e.g. B&H).

--
Ricky

Photography: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT
Videography: EOS C70, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS, Vixia HF G50
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon "Original" LP-E8 or go for third party batteries in 2021? For 550D, 600D, 650D,

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

Pretty sure OEM LP-E8 batteries have been discontinued.  Of course it might be possible to find them somewhere "in stock"

This is one case where I have no problem recommending a 3rd party battery.

Watson (only Watson).  B&H has them in stock. Don't buy used batteries and beware of counterfeits.

I have 2 of each for my 6D2...  (LP-E6N) can't tell the difference in quality or performance and either can my camera. 

I put my faith in Watson years ago and have not been disappoiinted.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100 ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~LBP622dw
Forum Elite

"Any point getting new "Original" batteries anymore in 2021?"

The best advice is to always buy Canon batteries but you already knew that otherwise you wouldn't have asked. However, there are many places that carry them with stellar reputations besides B&H.  I like B&H and use them for most of my photographic gear but they are not unique..  The one to steer clear from is Amazon unless it is from and you can confirm it, that it is from Amazon.

This advice goes for SD memory cards, too.  Buy name brand from top retailers.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!