cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera for action and sports photography?that holds auto focus and more than 7 shots burst

iris
Enthusiast

I have been using  the Rebel T4i.   I've learned that I like action photography.  The T4i sometimes misses the frame in burst mode that I would most like to capture..I shoot RAW so can usually get 7 shots a sec...also sometimes my best efforts are still in a soft focus, not crisp...Does anyone have some ideas for an up grade for me...

14 REPLIES 14

The obvious answer would be the new 7D Mark II, if you're serious enough about it to spend that kind of money. You could plunge into full-frame with a 6D; but you'd have to buy new lenses, and I'm not sure (without looking at the specs) that its burst rate would be any better.

One thing I wouldn't do is buy a 70D for that application. The 70D is undoubtedly a very good camera in its way, but there has been enough discussion about its alleged auto-focus shortcomings to warn me away.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes. I have been looking at the cameras you suggest...most of the lenses that I covet are for the full frame sensor...what would be lost if I got the EOS 7D Mark ii body for it's ability to get 15 fps at burst and then got the L lenses(which are really meant for a full frame sensor)?

@iris wrote:

Yes. I have been looking at the cameras you suggest...most of the lenses that I covet are for the full frame sensor...what would be lost if I got the EOS 7D Mark ii body for it's ability to get 15 fps at burst and then got the L lenses(which are really meant for a full frame sensor)?

Many people, including me, have done just that while contemplating an eventual migration to FF. The only drawback is that the L lenses come in focal lengths or ranges that are more appropriate for FF cameras and can "feel" a bit too long on an APS-C camera. If that doesn't bother you, you might as well go for it.

BTW, on the basis of what I've heard (since I've actually seen neither), I think I'd rather have a 7D2 than a 6D. The 5D3, though, is a horse of a very different color. I bought one last spring to go with my two 7D's, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Bob

Just to verify something you may understand but have said incorrectly. The FPS for the 7D mark II is 10 but the BURST rate is listed at 31 RAW or 19 RAW + JPG. I'm just guessing here but I suspect it will also require very fast write speed memory cards to help keep things moving from the buffer to the card quickly enough to be ready for a second or 3rd burst when there's lots of action.

I shoot a lot of action (with a 1D4 but used to use a 7D) and you'd be surprised at just how quickly you can fill a buffer when things get busy.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

One misquote, don't even consider the 6D.  It will be way slower than either of the 7D's.  The 6D was just a price gap filler.

I also would not consider one of the xxD's either. They are 7D wanna-bees. But I would add what was alomst suggested, you seek out a good used 1D Mk IV.  This camera is speed in action.  Plus it is built to take whatever you throw at it.  If it can't do it, it likely can't be done.

As for "L" lenses, they are not solely made for FF.  They are simply the best a lens can be made.  They can be used on either body with great success.  And again, IMHO, the way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

One misquote, don't even consider the 6D.  It will be way slower than either of the 7D's.  The 6D was just a price gap filler.

I also would not consider one of the xxD's either. They are 7D wanna-bees. But I would add what was alomst suggested, you seek out a good used 1D Mk IV.  This camera is speed in action.  Plus it is built to take whatever you throw at it.  If it can't do it, it likely can't be done. ...

And as someone once said of the 1D4 or one of its superficially similar predecessors, it's about the same size and weight as a patio stone.  Smiley Happy

Bob

1. Wonderful advice and suggestions from all of you. At this point I am leaning toward the camera that will be closest in operation to the Rebel that i have mastered after 3 years...I don't want too large a learning curve with too many new features...I like the upgrade in focusing options of the 7D Mark ll and the larger burst numbers...but as I understand it the 7D does not have the little touch-and-fliparound screen...not that I can ever make much use of it in the sun any way but it is useful in many situations. I will look into the suggested 1DMark iv of ebiggs.  You all seem to have answered my concerns of pairing the 70-200L lense...with a less than "full frame sensor".....

"I will look into the suggested 1DMark iv of ebiggs. "

Although without doubt this camera will do everything you ask it to, your last post causes me concern.

A 1D Mk IV in no way shape or form resembles a Rebel.  There will be nothing you are familar with.  It is a totally different approch.  The 1D Mk IV is a full blown professional camera all the rest especially Rebels have the consumers in mind and not a pros needs.

For instance there is no "green square" and there are no dials.  Most settings require two buttons to prevent acidental changes.

But the 1D Mk IV is worth the effort just keep in mind you will need to learn it.  Until the introduction of the 1Dx, the Mk IV was the fastest DSLR camera in the world.  It is still in second place.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I will look into the suggested 1DMark iv of ebiggs. "

Although without doubt this camera will do everything you ask it to, your last post causes me concern.

A 1D Mk IV in no way shape or form resembles a Rebel.  There will be nothing you are familar with.  It is a totally different approch.  The 1D Mk IV is a full blown professional camera all the rest especially Rebels have the consumers in mind and not a pros needs.

For instance there is no "green square" and there are no dials.  Most settings require two buttons to prevent acidental changes.

But the 1D Mk IV is worth the effort just keep in mind you will need to learn it.  Until the introduction of the 1Dx, the Mk IV was the fastest DSLR camera in the world.  It is still in second place.  Smiley Very Happy

You didn't expect her to take you up on it, eh?

Bob
Announcements