cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T7i won't power on

Lburnett
Apprentice
Help. My camera stopped working while on vacation. It has never been dropped or damaged in any way and is well taken care of. I took it to a camera repair shop in AZ and was told the battery compartment was dirty and they cleaned it. Well when I got the camera back it turned back on once, took one picture and cut back off again. I have charged the battery, purchased a new battery, changed the sd card, changed the lenses, tried tricks from YouTube, cleaned the battery compartment again and the camera does not turn on at all. Has anyone experienced this and have any fix? Please help!
10 REPLIES 10

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Lburnett,
In addition to what you mentioned, you may also wish to inspect the camera to see if any buttons appear stuck or out of place. If so, try to gently nudge them back into position. Make sure that the battery and memory card doors are fully shut, and then try doing additional tests.

If problems persist, I suggest that you email us at eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com with details about your camera, your date of purchase, and the state from where you are sending the camera, and we'll walk you through the repair process.

I hope that helps!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Just a guess, but if you needed to have your battery compartment cleaned, my bet is on the door or contact in the compartment. 

Best you send it to Canon for proper service and resolution. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have charged the battery, purchased a new battery, changed the sd card, changed the lenses, tried tricks from YouTube, cleaned the battery compartment again and the camera does not turn on at all."

It sounds like you did everything except what you should have done, call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

" I took it to a camera repair shop in AZ and was told the battery compartment was dirty and they cleaned it."

Sounds bogus to me. I hope they did not do any damage because Canon won't be responsible for it if they did.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Think for a moment, a Rebel T7i is too new to let a local shop repair or work on it. It may still of had warranty on it. Make sense? Call Canon today.

EB

Yes call Canon, first register the camera on the Canon website and get that part out of the way.

T7i's have been arouond a while, since February of 2017.

Lburnett
Apprentice
I purchased it in 2017 refurbished with only a 1 year warrenty. It's now working again. I popped the battery in and out really fast about 15 times and it finally came on. It's been working for a full day now with no issues. I think it's the battery contact.

"I think it's the battery contact."

You will never be able to rely or depend on it.  I can almost guarantee you it will fail again just when you least want it or expect it to. Call Canon, you have the number.

The fact you bought the T7i in 2017 isn't really important. It is still the latest Rebel and doesn't belong in a local repair shop. It belongs in a Canon trained repair facility.  Ask for a C&C and tell them the story about the battery.

EB

Lburnett
Apprentice
I agree. I'm sure it'll happen again at the time I need the camera most. And I also didnt want to take it to another shop because I just can't trust that they know what they're doing. I'll definitely contact Canon. Thanks
Announcements