cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T7i Hot Shoe Compatible with GP-E2 GPS

marathondon
Apprentice

I just purchased the T7i and the manual vaguely mentions that the T7i works with the GP-E2 and makes reference to only working with the cable when using a firmware version of 2.0 or better. What I'm trying to determine if the GP-E2 will geotag my pictures if only connected to the hot shoe. There are higher end Canon cameras that do this but I can't find any info that specifies this for the T7i. Any users out there that know if geotagging will work when only connected to the hot shoe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I want to thank everyone for the input. I also received an email today 2/21/18 from Canon technical support and they have also confirmed that the GP-E2 will work both by cable and hot shoe on the Canon T7i. I can now purchase with confidence!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use this with my 5D III... but my documentation pre-dates the T7i (so it's not listed).

The Canon page for the T7i does specifically list the GP-E2 as an accessory ... so it appears it is supported.

I would guess that if it is supported then it will work via the hot-shoe.  The 7D (original) only works via the USB port and not via the hot-shoe but that's because the GP-E2 came out after the 7D and as I recall Canon created a firmware update to make it work.  The newer models can talk to the GP-E2 via the hot-shoe.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for responding. I did a chat at the Canon store site and they could not confirm with absolute confidence that the T7i would geotag when using just the hot shoe. I guess I can assume it will since it is new but it's a lot of money to spend. I don't think I would like to use the cable primarily since that is designed for using with another attachment in situations when you want to use the hot shoe for flash or microphone.

The GP-E2 will work with the Rebel T7i on the hotshoe. No cable needed.

I want to thank everyone for the input. I also received an email today 2/21/18 from Canon technical support and they have also confirmed that the GP-E2 will work both by cable and hot shoe on the Canon T7i. I can now purchase with confidence!

Announcements