cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6i, replace focus screen?

rocket9244
Contributor

I seen a post about replacing the focus screen on a T6i, but its jumbled and written Very poorly. does anyone have a link to a video or understandable written directions? Thank You.

26 REPLIES 26

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I haven't done it on a T6i but older Rebels it isn't hard but if you are not good with small work areas and small tools you may not want to try it.  Anyway, get a tweezers and just pull it out from the frame by the small tab.  You can not touch the screen itself, just the tab using tweezers.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

do you have a link to where the small tab by the frame is at?.  its doable, but a video would help a lot. Thanx.

No I don't have a video and I don't even know if there is one.  Also like I said, I have never done it on any newer Rebel. I assume it is possible. The small tab is on the lower right side.

focusscreen-efd_1_xl.jpg

I strongly recommend you don't try it if you don't know exactly how.  Their are things inside the mirror box that don't respond well to abuse.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

No I don't have a video and I don't even know if there is one.  Also like I said, I have never done it on any newer Rebel. I assume it is possible. The small tab is on the lower right side.

focusscreen-efd_1_xl.jpg

I strongly recommend you don't try it if you don't know exactly how.  Their are things inside the mirror box that don't respond well to abuse.

I'll second Ernie's warning. I've done it twice (on an XTi and a 50D), and I would certainly not characterize it as easy. You need at least three hands (I seem to recall holding the magnifying glass in my mouth), and if they're small with skinny fingers (as mine are), it's a help. (Take that, Donald Trump!) I did it to install aftermarket screens, feeding a delusion that I had a frequent need for manual focusing. I didn't, and I wouldn't take the task on again. If I ever have a screen get broken, which I think would imply other damage as well, I'll just take it to the nearest Canon shop.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It looks like a simple operation, perhaps one needs a steady hand, etc.  I am wondering if after a successful replacement some calibration is needed that requires software and other items to calibrate it that not available to users? You might be opening up a new can of worms. A new T6i body only is selling for $549 online with the cheapest price being $462 on eBay plus you could sell the body "as-is" on eBay and recover part of the cost. $300 for a repair by Canon does not seem too far out of line or not worth it. I think I would sell mine "as-is" and get a new body only. Now someone here might say they have done it before with no problems in which case it is your decision to make once you find the right part, How much are focus screens?

i had but it is expired nw, sorry !!

9Apps VidMateapp.vin VLC

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Help-Focusing-screen-replacement-Rebel-t6i/td-p/259635

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rocket9244
Contributor
It looks doable but, the instructions are written terribly.
And according to that link, it takes various screens.
To bad the camera isnt worth the $300+ to send in to get fixed. ( quote from a local camera store)
Although it was a $700.00 camera a year ago.
I guess I'll toss it on ebay for a couple hundred and call it a day.

"...  the camera isnt worth the $300+ to send in to get fixed."

Although that may not be a super great price, $300 bucks for a T6i is a pretty good price.  I agree you need to cal Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.

EB
Announcements