cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6i Err message in LENS, no err message on LCD

giovanna_d
Apprentice

Hey everyone, 

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance about my Canon Rebel T6i. I have had this camera for a little over 2 years and have not used it much. It is in perfect condition, hasn't been dropped or anything but recently it has been freezing up. On many occassions, the camera freezes and none of the buttons work - thus you cannot take a picture, nor use any of the functions of the other buttons. In the lens where you view your aperature and ISO and shutter speed, ERR flases indicating some error, but the LCD remains to stay on and work when you use the touch screen capabilities. I turn the camera OFF and the LCD remains on and still works with the touch screen. This is problematic because no error message or error code comes up on the screen. I have to manually take out the battery for the camera to reset and the LCD screen to shut off or wait approximately 6-7 minutes for the screen to shut off. When I put the battery back in sometimes the camera works for a day or two, but then the next day it does the same thing. I went into my local camera store twice and each time they saw the error, took the battery out and put it back in and it worked for them for the time being. Both sales associates were hesitant to send it into Canon because they could send it back saying it works fine. However it is still broken. There seems to be no one thing that makes it freeze up, sometimes its just taking pictures, sometimes deleting pictures, sometimes using the WIFI function, sometiems scrolling through the settings, but sometimes none of these situations freeze it up. Because it is so inconsistent no one has had any idea what is wrong with it. 

I've had a frustrating time with this camera as it is expensive, new and should be working after two years. I should be able to figure out this problem but seemingly no one else on the internet has had this issue. 

If you have any ideas about what it could be do let me know. 

Giovanna

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

First thing to do.  Perform a full reset on the camera.  Next format the memory card "in camera"

Now remove the memory card

Remove the lens

Power on the camera and cycle through your menus.  The goal, is the problem your body or does it have to do with the card or lens?

If you can't reproduce the behavior with the body alone, put the card in a try to reproduce it

If that works add the lens and try to reproduce the behavior

If you have another lens, see if the behavior follows using a second lens.  Inspect the contacts on the body and lens.  Are they clean and free of debris? 

There are no FW updates for the T6i.

Other possible causes.  The battery.  Old, tired, or using an non-OEM battery might cause problems.  These steps should help with troubleshooting and diagnosis.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the input, I have managed to get the err to come up without the SD card, with two different lenses, and without the lens. Im assuming this means its probably a battery or a body issue? Should I look into getting a new battery to try to fix this issue? 

Best, 
Giovanna 

It can't hurt to try a new battery - you should always have a spare on hand* - but it is probably the body if it happens with two lenses.

* Says the guy with one battery for his T6S! 8^)

Greetings,

So you have it leveled down now.  It's likely the body, but a quick test with another battery will confirm as kvbarkley suggests.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Should I look into getting a new battery to try to fix this issue?"

If it is a Canon battery, it is probably not the culprit. If you bought an off brand battery replace it with a real Canon battery.  Don't buy off brand batteries ever. It is not the SD card either.  It is not the FW either. It is not dirty contacts either.  It is likely it is the T6i so a call to Canon is in order, 1 (800) 652-2666

" I have managed to get the err to come up ... with two different lenses"  Not a good sign for the camera call Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

LucaChavero7_
Apprentice

Hola ! Estoy exactamente con el mismo problema. Pudiste solucionarlo?. te dejo mi mail para que nos comuniquemos: [Removed personal information per Forum Guidelines]

Announcements