cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have just noticed that Canon has a new Rebel in their lineup, the T6.  At first glance, it seems to be a T5 with the addition of Wi-iFi.  I've noticed that Canon literature has become more explicit about  the Wi-Fi feature, too.

Wireless_NFC.PNG

People should not be misled into thinking the camera can connect to a home LAN like a printer, or a scanning device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
4 REPLIES 4

@Waddizzle wrote:

I have just noticed that Canon has a new Rebel in their lineup, the T6.  At first glance, it seems to be a T5 with the addition of Wi-iFi.  I've noticed that Canon literature has become more explicit about  the Wi-Fi feature, too.

Wireless_NFC.PNG

People should not be misled into thinking the camera can connect to a home LAN like a printer, or a scanning device.

I think this is the first time I've seen the term "Near Field Communication". Is that a pompous way of saying "Bluetooth"?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, it is short range wifi, not bluetooth. For this you just "tap" the devices together and it establishes a connection.

"I think this is the first time I've seen the term "Near Field Communication". Is that a pompous way of saying "Bluetooth"?" 

In a way, I'd say that NFC is similar to Bluetooth, because it is not your conventional wireless communication protocol to a LAN.  Many people get confused when they see the word "wireless."  They seem to conclude that "wireless" equates to networkable, which NFC is not.

The NFC protocol is not all that new.  Many smartphones have had it for a few years.  You simply bring two phones within close proximity of one another, and the users can exchange pictures, music, and other types of files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I think this is the first time I've seen the term "Near Field Communication". Is that a pompous way of saying "Bluetooth"?" 

In a way, I'd say that NFC is similar to Bluetooth, because it is not your conventional wireless communication protocol to a LAN.  Many people get confused when they see the word "wireless."  They seem to conclude that "wireless" equates to networkable, which NFC is not.

The NFC protocol is not all that new.  Many smartphones have had it for a few years.  You simply bring two phones within close proximity of one another, and the users can exchange pictures, music, and other types of files.

I'd heard of the smartphone feature. My son-in-law, a computer software consultant, demonstrated it for me once. But I assumed it was based on Bluetooth. Thanks for the clarification.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements