cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T5i video issue - Dark colors come out blocky looking.

BULLBOYKENNELS
Apprentice

Canon T5i video issue - Dark colors come out blocky looking.

So I've been messing around with the manual video settings on the Canon T5i,. however the dark colors always look blocky.

I've tried  1080p 30fps Shutter 1/60 f/4 iso 200 all the way up to 800 still the same issue.  I've even gone as far as to shutter 1/125 iso 800 still the same issue.  

Granted I am using the kit lens EFS 18-55 mm.  I did however just ordered the Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens so should have it this week in the mail.  But for now I would at least like to correct the issue I am having.

Any idea's or pointers are welcomed.

See test vid so you at least have an idea of what I am referring to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You might not need better lighting.  Maybe all you need is a lens with a wider aperture.  What type of camera and lens setup are you using, or used, to shoot that sample?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Dark colors usually means not enough lighting, my son tells me.  A wider aperture lens can help improve results under less than optimal lighting conditions.  Sometimes you may want poor lighting for an effect, to bring the eye's attention to your subject.  I would compare it to bokeh, having a blurred background to cause the eye to direct its' attention on the in-focus foreground subject.

A fully manually operated lens is best for shooting serious video.  I have bought a couple of Rokinon "Cine" Series lenses for my son, and he loves them.  I like them, too, because they are a good buy.  They are rated using a "T" factor, instead of an "F" factor.  The "T" rating stands for "Transmission", for how much light is actually reaching the sensor.  As light passes through the various internal lens elements, it can lose some of its' intensity. 

Unless you are intimately familiar with precisely how much light each of your video lenses lose due to passing through the internal lens elements, then when you switch from one f/1.8 lens to another lens set at f/1.8 you really do not know how much light is reaching the sensor.  One lens may give you a slightly brighter, or dimmer, image than the other one.  The "T" rating takes light loss into account.  When you set a lens to T1.8, then you know the next lens you use that is set for T1.8 will allow the identical amount of light.

So I pretty much would need more lighting then,. to get rid of the dark colors looking blocky.  Need to figure out then what lights to get or just how much lighting I would really need.

You might not need better lighting.  Maybe all you need is a lens with a wider aperture.  What type of camera and lens setup are you using, or used, to shoot that sample?

it's a canon t5i with the kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS STM.  I did just get my Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG lens yesterday in the mail so I'll try and test that out to see if it works out better with the same lighting conditions.

Update to this reply:  I did get my lens in and actually tried it without all the extra lighting at night.  Just using my regular lights in the house to see how it came out.

Here is the video of it.

Announcements