cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T5i Battery Puzzle

yadbugee
Apprentice

i am using a T5i camera and LP-E8 Battery and its original Charger.

I have been having low battery indicator on the camera for a while. I changed to a OEM battery, no respite. I change the charger thinking the charger is not charging it to full capacity, still no respite.

This is what it looks when I pop in a "Fully" charged battery  in my Camera

I have no idea what setting is casuing and who is the culprit, Camera , or the Battery

T123.JPG

What should I be looking at as the next steps 

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What I see is that the battery is selected in the Quick Menu screen, and the selection square is red.  What happens to the color of it when you move to other menu choices?  

What happens when you re-select the battery and press [SET]?  The camera seems to be trying to tell you something.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The battery indicator is showing full charge. 

9AB9DBA7-93BA-472D-9335-CA439F8F6A3B.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I think the battery level indicated shows more like "Battery is low, still enough for now" , it does not indicate "Battery Level is OK"

It shows battery OK.

The image is black on white.

Camera is white on black.

I have a T5i - you are OK.

People can save themselves a lot of grief if they just read the camera manual.

2017-09-28.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I replaced the battery with a generic one on-line.  After fully charging and inserting the battery the low charge and blinking image appears on the screen.  Thinking that it might be the generic battery I purchased a I bought a new Canon battery and after fully charging the same blinking low battery image appears.  Is this a problem with the camera or the charger?  The camera is 2 1/2 years old and has worked fine until now.

@CanonVictoria wrote:

I replaced the battery with a generic one on-line.  After fully charging and inserting the battery the low charge and blinking image appears on the screen.  Thinking that it might be the generic battery I purchased a I bought a new Canon battery and after fully charging the same blinking low battery image appears.  Is this a problem with the camera or the charger?  The camera is 2 1/2 years old and has worked fine until now.

You could have a charger problem.  Are you using a Canon charger,, or a generic one?  

Battery chargers deliver charging current a fixed rates.  Batteries are designed to have charging currents delivered a fixed rates.  When you start mixing up charger and battery brands, you can wind up with mismatches.  

When the charger delivers more than the battery can handle, the battery may heat up.  When the charger delivers less than the battery requires, the charger may start heating up, or even stop charging.  In this latter case, it may appear that the charger has completed a charging cycle, when in reality is has simply shut down early to protect itself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using the Canon charger that came with the camera.  I will take the battery in to the store.  If they find that the battery needs charging it looks like I will need a new charger.  If they find that the battery is fully charged the problem will be with the camera. 

It would be best if you brought all 4 into the store, the batteries, charger, and camera. 

That is what I was planning to do. Stay tuned.

Announcements