cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T5i Av mode

lincolnlog
Apprentice

When in Av mode, it doesn't matter what my f-stop is, the shutter speed is really slow and my picture is all white.  Manual and Tv mode work just fine. This is a new problem.  Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping for some feedback before I take it into the shop for troubleshooting. I'm currently just shooting in manual, but when other people use my camera, they seem to take better pictures when I set it in Av for them. 

4 REPLIES 4

Make sure you're using the right metering mode. If, for example, you were using spot metering and the middle of the frame was unusually dark, you could get the effect you describe.

Another way to cause it is to use fill flash with Av under very bright conditions. The camera will refuse to select a shutter speed faster than the sync speed, even if the result will be gross overexposure. (Discovered that one the hard way; the XTi manual didn't warn about it.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Try a controlled experiment.

On the next "sunny" day (full sun... no clouds or it will change the exposure) in mid-day sun you will have precisely Ev 15 lighting (guaranteed.... The sun is VERY consistent.). This means we on the Internet can guarantee the lighting level even though we have no idea where you live.

Set the camera to ISO 100 (don't use auto)
Set the mode dial to Av
Set the Aperture to f/16
Make sure the Exposure Compensation is set to 0
Set the metering mode to Evaluative
Focus on something in full sun. It must not be a black subject or background nor should it be a white subject or background.

The camera should create a properly exposed image and the shutter speed will have been 1/100th or something very close to it.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

lincolnlog
Apprentice
Thanks for your responses. I'm afraid your suggestion of a controlled experiment won't happen anytime soon with our current wether forecast. I wasn't using fill flash though and the same over exposure happens during daylight and at night in the living room with low but consistent lighting. I have double and triple checked all my settings and it doesn't matter what changes I make, they all are almost completely white. Thanks again for your comments

So I am to assume P, Auto, M and Tv work?  But Av does't? That sure sounds like a setting error somewhere!   Another possiblity is your lens is faulty.  Try a different lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements