cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T5i (700D) shows black screen when screwing on a tripod

nhoc_quay515
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have my Canon T5i for about 18 months when I realized whenever I put it on a tripod, the LCD screen turns black. I can still take photos using the view finder though, it just doesn't show anything in the live view. After I take my camrea off the tripod and turn it back on, it works perectly fine without a tripod. My phography intructor said it could due to the pressure when screwing the tripod to the camera base, but he has no further explanation or solution. Have anyone experienced this problem on this camera model or any other models? How can I fix this or send it to Canon to fix? If so what is the cost like in general? 

Thanks everyone!

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It sounds like you are screwing camera directly to the tripod? No tripod head and associated mounting plate for the camera. Can you post a smartphone photo of your camera installed on the tripod?

Check the length of the male threaded piece on the tripod. Perhaps it is too long and you are pushing up on the base of the tripod head.

If you aren't using a tripod head and plate i suggest you look into getting one.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The base of the camera needs to be flat & seated to the tripod so a simple test to see if the screw is going up too far would be some shims betewwn the body & the tripod. Simple rectangles made from cardboard stock should be easy to make  & you should only need a few to check. Punch a hole for the tripod stud, add them to the top of the tripod (say 4 of them) & tighten the camera down. Check whether it's working correctly & if so reduce by 1 shim & check again. If the stud is in fact the issue it needs to be shortened or as suggested get a mounting system.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your suggestion. The tripot acually has a mounting plate with a stud attached which I used to screw into the body camera. After I removed the stud from the mounting plate and screwed it as fas as I could into the camera body, I took some pictures in live view mode and it didn't have any problem.So I think the culprit was not the length of the stud. But when I attached the mounting plate with the stud into my camera, the live view did not work any more as you can see in the picture below. It must have to do with the pressure of the mounting plate on the camera base. Please let's me know if you have other opinios. Thanks!

The tripot I use is the XIT 72 Elite Series Professional Tripod

IMG_6133-07-06-17-06-25.jpegIMG_6132-07-06-17-06-25.jpeg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Does the problem occur if the plate is installed but the camera is not installed into the tripod head?

If you back the screw off ¼ turn does the screen turn back on? I.e no pressure on camera bottom?

Is mounting plate perhaps distorting battery door and triggering open door switch?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
Does the problem occur if the plate is installed but the camera is not installed into the tripod head?

If you back the screw off ¼ turn does the screen turn back on? I.e no pressure on camera bottom?

Is mounting plate perhaps distorting battery door and triggering open door switch?

Yes, the problem still occurs when the plate installed on the camera without the tripod head.

And Yes, if I screw it back a little, it works fine after I turn the camera off and back on.

Lastly, I don't thing the plate causes the battery door open because when I intentionally open the battery door when the camera is on, the screen completely turn off. The picture I posted has a purple-ish screen when the camera is on, and that was the problem. I also used my finger to apply pressure on the battery door, but it seems no problem at all.

Thanks

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. Try another suggestion. Put two pieces of thin cardboard, maybe a cereal box top , on the outboard ends of the baseplate and tighten down.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So I tried with the cardboards and 2 gift cards ( just to find if the surfaces make any difference) between the plate and the camera, but it did not work at all, sadly.

After I played with the mounting plate and my camera for a while, I realized few more things:

- If the camera was already on, and I tighten the plate on it (with or without the cardboards in the between), the camera worked fine (both in live view and view finder) for some time like about 20 pictures or less. Then it will show the purple-ish screen.
- If the camera was off when I tighten it, when I turned the camera on, it would show the purple-ish screen. Then when I unscrew the stud a little and switch between view finder/ live view, it goes back to normal. I dont have to turn the camera off and on again.

-Lastly, before it comeplete turns to purple-ish screen, the was some gray vignetting in 4 corners of the screen, then they quickly fade away.

Hope these can give you guys more clues. 🙂

David.

@nhoc_quay515 wrote:

So I tried with the cardboards and 2 gift cards ( just to find if the surfaces make any difference) between the plate and the camera, but it did not work at all, sadly.

After I played with the mounting plate and my camera for a while, I realized few more things:

- If the camera was already on, and I tighten the plate on it (with or without the cardboards in the between), the camera worked fine (both in live view and view finder) for some time like about 20 pictures or less. Then it will show the purple-ish screen.
- If the camera was off when I tighten it, when I turned the camera on, it would show the purple-ish screen. Then when I unscrew the stud a little and switch between view finder/ live view, it goes back to normal. I dont have to turn the camera off and on again.

-Lastly, before it comeplete turns to purple-ish screen, the was some gray vignetting in 4 corners of the screen, then they quickly fade away.

Hope these can give you guys more clues. 🙂

David.

STOP USING THAT TRIPOD PLATE!!!

Obviously it is damaging your camera.

My suggestion about the battery door was bogus. I confused myself for a moment and thought camera was shutting off, not the LCD screen.

I agree with Tom. Something seems to be going on with the plate. Do you have a camera store or service facility nearby who can assist you?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements