cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T5 Sensor or Shutter Operation problem

fryman
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a T5 that has seen light personal use over the past few years. The last couple times I used it the photos show an exposure(?) issue. I will upload a couple of examples as I'm not sure what the exact problem is. Looking for suggestions/recommendations. Is there a way to fix the issue at home or does it need sent for repair? Thanks.

pic 1IMG_0900.JPG

pic 2 (original pic shows green overlay in place of gray here)IMG_1115.JPG

pic 3 (original shows green transparent overlay in place of gray solid)IMG_0980.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Does the problem show up when you review the photo on the camera? Or just after downloading the photo? 

I would try using a differnt memory card to eliminate a defective memory card. 

Mike Sowsun

The photos do show up on the camera screen but eventually the camera freezes and gets stuck on one photo. When I pop the card into my pc, it will display the images up until it gets to the same image the camera froze on. I can see the file details (jpg, filesize, etc.) in an explorer window for additional photos past the one image it froze on but cannot view further images through Windows photo viewer. I've tried a couple of different cards but they all have similar outcomes. Wondering if there is a file write error through the camera. I have not updated the firmware since purchase.

" I have not updated the firmware since purchase."

It is not FW related.  Most likely and if you are the lucky type it is a bad SD card.  Never buy cheap SD cards. Don't buy huge SD cards. Always buy the SD card you Canon manual recommends.

Make sure you stick with top brands like Sandisk, Lexar, Transend, etc.  Make sure you buy from a reputable retailer.  Ebay and Amazon are not good sources.

"Wondering if there is a file write error through the camera."

There is, if the new SD card doesn't fix the problem. WHat the problem is, you need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 to find out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you very much for your reply. I will purchase a new/Canon recommended card and see if I have better success. I will admit, other than the 16GB Sandisk card that came with the Camera (a few years ago) the other cards I've tried have probably been off-brand.

@fryman wrote:

The photos do show up on the camera screen but eventually the camera freezes and gets stuck on one photo. When I pop the card into my pc, it will display the images up until it gets to the same image the camera froze on. I can see the file details (jpg, filesize, etc.) in an explorer window for additional photos past the one image it froze on but cannot view further images through Windows photo viewer. I've tried a couple of different cards but they all have similar outcomes. Wondering if there is a file write error through the camera. I have not updated the firmware since purchase.

It sounds like the most likely cause is a bad memory card.  Buy a new one, and be sure to “low level format” it in the camera prior to first use.

When choosing a memory card, stick with major brands like Lexar and Sandisk.  Stick with reputable online retailers.  The only online retailer I use for memory cards is B&H Photo Video in NYC.  I have bought cards at a Best Buy store when I was in a pinch, out there without a spare.

As advised, look for a card that matches the specifications of your camera, which can be found in the Instruction Manual.  You can download the FULL instruction manual from the same product page where you download the software.  

The manual recommends SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.  You camera can only use UHS-I cards, though.  Most SDXC cards are UHS-II, which are somewhat useable, but not very compatible.  Stick with 16GB or 32GB cards.  I recommend Lexar Extreme UHS-1 16/32 GB cards.  The Lexar Extreme Pro UHS-I 16/32 GB cards are pretty good, too.  I do not use anything else after having issues with two other well known brands.

Only buy the full size cards.  Never use a micro-SD card with a micro-to-full size adapter.  The adapters are unreliable.  Again, remember to always low level format any new card in the camera where you intend to use it.  Do not allow other devices to write data to the SD card that you use in the camera.  It is okay to read data, but do not write or edit any SD card data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements