cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3i Rebel won't turn on( Intermittently)

Deep
Apprentice

Hi,

My Canon T3i Rebel sometimes goes off while I am shooting. When I try to get it back, it just won't turn on. Now if I take the memory card and the battery out, leave it overnight and next day re-assemble them and turn it on it MAY or MAY NOT turn on.

I tried to isolate the scenarios and check where the problem is but couldn't find a cause.

1. Cannot be a problem with memory cards: I tried using different SD Cards but no avail. Atleast when I take the card out and try to start the camera, it should get turned on with a message 'No Card'. Sometimes it does get turned on, sometimes in doesn't.

2. Can't be a problem with the battery : I tried using different batteries fully charged, yet the same problem persists.

3. Can't be a problem with the micro switches: If that was a problem the camera wouldn't get turned on AT ALL. Sometimes it does get turned on.

I had sent it out for repair to the Canon master service center. They couldn't find any error logs. They changed the PCB, but it did not help either.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Turn on the Camera

2. Use different lenses

3. Use different modes ' Auto / Manual/Video '. Set the lenses to different modes: 'A/F' and 'Manual Focus'.

4. Click pictures.

Error noticed:

The camera would automatically get turned off at some point of time. Switch on the camera. It wouldn't turn on.

Turn off the camera, take the battery and cards out and re-assemble them. Switch on the camera. It wouldn't turn on.

Take the card and battery out. Leave it overnight. Re-assemble them. Switch on the camera. It MIGHT nor MIGHT NOT turn on.

I bought this camera from amazon usa. It has 3 years US and Canada warranty. I am using this in India, so I am not able to avail the warranty.

Please help. 

7 REPLIES 7

ozkucur
Contributor
I have the same problem which you described. Were you able to resolve the issue?

Hi ozkucur.

Yeah, I luckily did manage to get this resolved. There was an internal loose connection at some contact point with the SD card unit. The service center guy noticed this after I resent it for repair.They fixed it and finally my camera is working.

They had initially re-placed the PCB unit box but that didn't help. They had forgotten to check the loose contact that was there which was actually causing the issue. I ended up spending Rs 5700 i.e. approx equal to $93. But it doesn't matter now. I m happy that my camera is finally working. It's a huge relief.

You too might be having a similar problem. Ask the repair guy to check and fix all the contact points and do a rigourous testing. It should sort out the problem. Hope this helps.

thanks for the information

I just realized my canon T3i turns on without the Sd card. As soon as I insert the card, my canon won't turn on. I will try a different cardand keep you guys uupdated.

Yup..... works with a diffrent SD Card!
I was using a 64GB went down to 16GB and it works.
It must of been the SD card that was damaged.

krush88
Apprentice

Hi guys, I am glad that i found people sharing similar problem. I am using 650d, Rebel T4i. Problem is similar, but i have tried replacing other card as well. It turns on for a while and after few clicks switches off by itself and no response. I changed battery as well. Same problem persists. Any advise?

In my case, I called the support and they asked me to return it. They sent me a new one

Announcements