cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T1i memory cards

bcote1024
Apprentice

I have a Canon T1i and would like to know if the newer SDXC flash memory cards are supported. If yes, are there significant advantages over SDHC cards?

8 REPLIES 8

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Your camera supports SD and SDHC, respectively.  The SD card was the first released, and the SDXC is the most recent.  The SDHC will work best with your camera.  What you want to look at and purchase with your memory card is the Class/speed rating, which with your camera I'm guessing is maybe a recommended minimum of Class 6, and if I were you I'd go all the way and purchase a Class 10 with the greatest transfer rate.  Trust me, you won't regret it, and the cost difference is negligible when considering the cost of your camera and all its accoutrements.

bcote1024
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

coolbubba
Apprentice
Is there a memory limit that will be recognized by the Rebel T1i?

The T1i can use SD "SDHC" cards.  The SDHC standard is limited to sizes of 32GB or lower.  (Higher capacity cards are SDXC which are not compatible with the T1i).

I suggest owning a minimum of 2 cards and while my cameras can take much higher capacity cards, I typically don't buy card sizes larger than 16GB per card.

Part of this is because cards can fail and it's a good idea to own a spare.  Part of it is because I normally insert the card into a computer card reader (rather than connecting the camera) to import images and I don't want to be miles from home and get the dreaded "no card" error because I left my card in the computer and not in my camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

coolbubba
Apprentice
I've probably got a dozen plus1, 2, 4, and 8 gig cards. I suspected so this afternoon when I put in a new SanDisk Extreme 10, 64gb SDXC UHS-1 card that came from Amazon today. There wasn't much info in the physical manual and I couldn't find much online either. I just ordered a SanDisk Extreme 32gig SDXC level 10 card. Should work, will be hereTuesday. I've been running on a very slow speed 4 gig card the past few years. I'd frequently find "busy" messages, having to wait for up to half a min to a min before I could take another picture anger bursts, etc. I shoot concerts, not good... I really appreciate your advice and knowledge.
I'm curious as to why you recommend 16 gig cards? Thanks so much again.

How did your SanDisk Extreme 32gig SDXC level 10 card end up working out for you? I have the same issue with my t1i; i keep getting the "busy". It drives me crazy. I am forced to wait what seems to be the longest time to capture a picture. I am trying to look for a solution for this. 

thank you

coolbubba
Apprentice
After bursts or rapid succession not angry bursts

coolbubba
Apprentice
It works a lot better although I still occasionally get the busy it's world's better
Announcements