cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T1I flash not fireing

Bossman123abc
Apprentice
Looked on many websites, but sadly could not find a way to fix my flash, does anyone have any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the camera thinks another flash is attached it wont allow you to use the pop-up flash.  This is actually a well-known issue and it can happen with lots of cameras.

The hot-shoe on the top of your camera has a couple of rails that hold an external flash.  In these rails are a couple of leaf springs to provide just a moderate about of tension.

But hiding under one of these leaf-springs is a tiny little micro-switch.  When you slide an external flash into the hot-shoe, it pushes down on that switch and that's how the camera knows you've attached an external flash.   Over time, this switch can eventually get dirty and jam so that the camera thinks there's a flash attached... even when there isn't.  When that happens, it'll refuse to pop-up the built-in flash because it thinks it would crash into the external flash (even though there is no external flash.)

Make sure the spring is able to spring up and you'll need to work the pin so it's able to spring up again.  A tiny flat-blade jewelers screwdriver may do the trick.  Also it may help to use a drop or two of denatured alcohol to dissolve any gunk that may be jamming it.  Do NOT use any type of "oil" as that'll just be a dust magnet and the problem will return.  Denatured alcohol, on the other hand, will evaporate so it'll be completely dry after you fix it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You are sure you have it set, to flash?  The flash tubes do burn out but it will need service to replace one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We need more info...

What mode are you in on the mode dial?  

Did you manually pop-up the flash using the pop-up button or are you expecting the camera to automatically pop it up?  

Is the camera displaying any message codes?

If you can give us something more specific to go on, we may be able to offer specific things to try to fix the issue.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Bossman123abc
Apprentice
Hey, thanks for the quick reply, I tried in every mode and manualy put it up. No matter what I did it would not pop up, it said another flash was connected to it, I bought a flash that won't sync with my camera so I took it off, then it kept giving me that error, I also rebooted, took out my battery, and tried cleaning all the connectors at the top

If the camera thinks another flash is attached it wont allow you to use the pop-up flash.  This is actually a well-known issue and it can happen with lots of cameras.

The hot-shoe on the top of your camera has a couple of rails that hold an external flash.  In these rails are a couple of leaf springs to provide just a moderate about of tension.

But hiding under one of these leaf-springs is a tiny little micro-switch.  When you slide an external flash into the hot-shoe, it pushes down on that switch and that's how the camera knows you've attached an external flash.   Over time, this switch can eventually get dirty and jam so that the camera thinks there's a flash attached... even when there isn't.  When that happens, it'll refuse to pop-up the built-in flash because it thinks it would crash into the external flash (even though there is no external flash.)

Make sure the spring is able to spring up and you'll need to work the pin so it's able to spring up again.  A tiny flat-blade jewelers screwdriver may do the trick.  Also it may help to use a drop or two of denatured alcohol to dissolve any gunk that may be jamming it.  Do NOT use any type of "oil" as that'll just be a dust magnet and the problem will return.  Denatured alcohol, on the other hand, will evaporate so it'll be completely dry after you fix it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Bossman123abc
Apprentice
I pulled apart the hotshue to fix it, now I just gotta put it back together. ......

Bossman123abc
Apprentice
I got it back together thank you all for your help
Announcements