cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Sl2 Video with Bokeh

Quixote
Contributor

Pardon the newbie question but is there a way to set the aperture setting when filming video using a Canon Sl2?  I have my camera set on Av when I switch to video but I don't see a w ay to control the aperture.  What am I missiing? Thx!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is normal for the SL2 and most other Canon “consumer” cameras. Only Manual mode gives you full control over Aperture while shooting Video.The other modes are all Auto.

More advanced camera’s like the 5D Mk IV allow Av mode aperture selection in Video mode.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

You should be able to change the aperture in Av mode using the main dial just behind your shutter button 

Thx - That was the first thing I tried but nothing happens. The aperture stays the same.  The only way I could figure out to control the aperture in video mode was to set the dial to M.

That is normal for the SL2 and most other Canon “consumer” cameras. Only Manual mode gives you full control over Aperture while shooting Video.The other modes are all Auto.

More advanced camera’s like the 5D Mk IV allow Av mode aperture selection in Video mode.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike for the clarification - much appreciated. 

If you have too much light, you might need a neutral density filter.

Announcements