cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL2 Microphone - External

ajredaelli
Contributor

I have a brand new SL2. I am trying to setup an external lapel microphone. When I do that, my screen shows three ahlf circles, theicon of a mic, and the word "off" next to it. I cannot seem to get to microphone settings. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just to share, I found a TRSS to TRS adaptor and that did the trick - bottom line is - the original 3.5 mm (TRSS) had three small rings (4 poles) while the TRS only has two rings (3 poles). Once I used the 3 poles (TRS) the issue was resolved. I hope I got that right 🙂

Thanks all for the good advice!   

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Just to share, I found a TRSS to TRS adaptor and that did the trick - bottom line is - the original 3.5 mm (TRSS) had three small rings (4 poles) while the TRS only has two rings (3 poles). Once I used the 3 poles (TRS) the issue was resolved. I hope I got that right 🙂

Thanks all for the good advice!   

And thanks for reporting back with that information. Not everybody will take the time to do that. Robot Frustrated

My pleasure. Hopefully it will help someone in the future. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You aren't "required" to use a powered microphone... but it's MUCH better if you do.  If you don't, you end up having to boost the audio gain levels but quite a bit and that results in a lot of hiss (noise) ... think of this is in the same way you'd think of having to crank up the ISO a lot for a photo and that results in an image with a lot of visual noise.  Same idea, and both are the result of having to "amplify" the signal.  All "signal" contains some "noise" and when you apply "gain" you amplify both signal and noise ... and that's where the hiss comes from.

When you use a powered mic, the mic provides a very strong signal... you can leave the camera audio levels very low and don't need to apply gain... which means you don't have to also boost the noise... which means you don't end up with hiss.

For example... Rode makes something called the RodeLink Wireless Filmmaker Kit... it's a lav mic that connects to a transmitter (typically worn on a belt clip).  It transmits to a receiver that mounts in the camera "hot shoe" (it's really a "cold" mount since it only uses the shoe as a mounting point ... there are no electronic connections used) and a separate wire comes from the receiver to plug into the camera's audio-input jack.

This provides a "powered" lav mic that attaches to a DSLR camera.  It supports audio-gain in Rode system which means you can leave the audio gain levels on the camera set to a minimum to avoid hiss.

It's not cheap... about $400.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Wow - that makes sense .... but $400.00 for that mic - that would be way too much. I understand what you are saying though. Thanks TCampbell. 

parimiti_ds
Apprentice

initially external microphone worked but now it stopped and giving the same error as u had

nickdura
Apprentice
I also had this same issue. From what I have found that does not mean the mic isn't working. It means the wind filter is turned off. I hope that's true and I am still getting decent audio. I will do a test tonight with the mic plugged in and pulled out. But almost positive that's what that symbol means. It has appeared to me in all most whether + or manual or any creative modes. Try setting wind filter to on and see if the symbol still sticks around.

Mbrein1
Apprentice

Hi there,

I have the sound settings set to manual and I am still having a problem Recording any sound whether the external mic is on or off the camera.  Still have a mic with three rings in the word off showing on the screen (in Manuel mode)  when the external mic is plugged in.  I am using the LOTURE external mic On my Canon EOS SL2.  

Announcements