cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL2/200D will not connect to computer

TB40
Apprentice

Hello,

I have not been able to connect my rebel sl2 using the usb to any windows 10 PC; I've tried 3 different PCs. It makes the sound that I've connected a device but nothing happens after that. I continue to get the same errors in device manager (screenshot below). I understand that if installed properly it should show up under "portable devices" but nothing is there. I also can't see the memory card in file explorer.

SL2.PNG

I've tried the following:

- Multiple USB cords including the canon brand IFC-400PCU

- Different USB ports on multiple PCs

- Tried reformatting the memory card

- Connecting with and without the memory card. When there is a memory card in the camera it tends to freeze and says "busy" when I press any of the buttons

- Uninstalling the "unknown USB device" in device manager but every time I plug the camera in again the same error/device shows up

- Installed the windows MTP update (saw that this helped in another thread)

- Reinstalled the firmware on the camera

- Turned off wifi on camera

- Turned off auto shutdown on camera

- Installed the most up to date EOS Utility however, this seems like a driver/hardware problem and not a software issue

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TB40
Apprentice

UPDATE: Turns out the camera was deffective; even though it was brand new. I think there was something wrong with the USB port on the camera itself. I've replaced the camera and now have no issues connecting to all my computers.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello TB40, 

Downloading all images that have not been transferred to the computer

1. Connect the camera to the computer with the interface cable supplied with the camera.
  • Set the camera's Auto Power Off settings to [Off] or [Disable] before making the connection.
  • For more information on connecting the camera to a computer, please refer to the instruction manual included with the camera.

2. Set the camera's power to [ON].

3. EOS Utility Ver. 3.2 starts automatically.
If EOS Utility Ver. 3.2 does not start automatically, click the [Start] button, then select [All Programs], [Canon Utilities], [EOS Utility] and then [EOS Utility].
NOTE
  • Windows 8: Right-click on the [Start] screen, and then click [All Programs] displayed on the lower right of the screen. [EOS Utility] will be displayed on the [Apps] screen.
  • Windows 8.1: Click on the bottom left of the [Start] screen to display the [Apps] screen, and then click [EOS Utility].
  • Mac OS X: Click the [EOS Utility] icon on the Dock.
IMPORTANT
If you start EOS Utility Ver. 3.2 before connecting the camera to the computer, the [EOS Utility Launcher] screen (shown in the example image below) will be displayed. In this case, please click [Close], and connect the camera to the computer after the window has closed.

4. When the window shown below is displayed, click [Download images to computer].

5. Click [Start automatic download] to download all the images on the memory card to the computer.

NOTE
By default, the downloaded images are sorted into folders by their shooting date, and are saved in the [Pictures] folder on the computer. If you wish to change the destination for the downloaded images, click [Preferences] and specify the settings in the dialog box.

If you click [Select and download], you can select the images you want and download them to your computer from the cameras memory card. For the details, please see the "Downloading selected images" section below.

6. Download of images to the computer begins.

7. When all images have been downloaded, Digital Photo Professional starts up automatically and the downloaded images are displayed in Digital Photo Professionals main window.
NOTE
If you wish to edit images using Digital Photo Professional or ImageBrowser EX, refer to the individual software instruction manuals.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This does not work because the computer does not recognize the camera in the first place.

If you are using USB, make sure to turn off wifi

TB40
Apprentice

UPDATE: Turns out the camera was deffective; even though it was brand new. I think there was something wrong with the USB port on the camera itself. I've replaced the camera and now have no issues connecting to all my computers.

Announcements