cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel t5 Remote jack problem

Aeosgames
Contributor
Hey there. Okay so here's the thing. I contacted a friend of mine who has a T5 and had managed to film a documentary with crisp clear vocal audio. I asked her how she achieved this since the T5 doesn't have an external 3.5mm microphone port.
She told me that she had a shotgun mic which she attached to her camera using a certain 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter.
I bought a shotgun mic, got the adapter and was excited to use it, but for some reason, whenever I attach the small 2.5mm plug into the camera and switch the mic on, it takes a picture as if triggered by a remote and the microphone picks up no sound, leaving the internal mic at work. I was talking to her about it tonight and she sent me a few videos showing that her Canon doesn't do that and the mic actually works for her. So I'm not sure if I have a defective Canon...? Anyone have any ideas as to why hers works and mine doesn't?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aeosgames
Contributor
Alright so bad news. I saw her tonight and tested out the camera audio with the mic on and off, and there's literally no difference. All this time she's been believing that she was recording through the mic but was wrong. Ah well...guess ill get a zoom mic. 😕 Surprisingly she got pretty decent internal mic quality on her canon for the interviews

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

diverhank
Authority

Are you sure your friend doesn't have the T5i instead of the T5?  The T5 does not have an external microphone...plugging an external mic into the remote control jack is not going to give you audio, unfortunately.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Aeosgames
Contributor
Nope I'm positive she's got the t5, and she's sent me plenty of videos to prove that its actually working. Im actually gonna see her later today with my camera to take a look.

Aeosgames
Contributor

I believe that is my post from YouTube when I assumed it would work.

Oh. It implied the poster got the adapter and it worked.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No, I have the adapter and whenever I attach the adapter with said mic, it takes a picture and the camera doesnt receive audio from the mic. My FRIEND however connected the same setup, but it doesnt take a picture and instead takes audio from the mic. 

"So I was skeptical at first but she showed me that with this adapter she had gotten it to recognize the mic. So I got one and believe it or not, it worked."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Weird. Yeah I realized that was from YouTube and when she told me it worked I jumped the gun and commented on a video replying to a comment about getting it to work where I then just said it worked. I was wrong. 

@Aeosgames wrote:

Weird. Yeah I realized that was from YouTube and when she told me it worked I jumped the gun and commented on a video replying to a comment about getting it to work where I then just said it worked. I was wrong. 

I am highly skeptical that she was able to connect an external microphone to a T5, and got it to work in video mode.  First of all, there is no audio input connection, period.  None.  It might look like the same jack used by a microphone, but it is not.  That jack is used only for remote shutter control.  No audio connections are associated with the jack.

If you need further proof, look up in the instruction manual how to set the audio level.  It spells it out, no external microphones.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And since it has absolutely no effect on the audio, the internal mic would still be working. So you are just still using the internal microphone. Just tap the shotgun on your friends set-up to see.

Announcements