cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel t3i serial number is missing, can't download eos utility 2

meaganpreston7
Apprentice

Hi! Someone from Canon or anyone please help me! I bought this camera used and the serial number is super scratched and I can only make out a few numbers. I'm trying to download my pictures to my computer and I don't have any type of Canon software like eos utility 2 that I think I need in order to download. But, I can't get that software without my serial number!!! Someone please help 😞

6 REPLIES 6

@meaganpreston7 wrote:

Hi! Someone from Canon or anyone please help me! I bought this camera used and the serial number is super scratched and I can only make out a few numbers. I'm trying to download my pictures to my computer and I don't have any type of Canon software like eos utility 2 that I think I need in order to download. But, I can't get that software without my serial number!!! Someone please help 😞

Nowadays Canon DSLRs include their serial numbers in the Exif data. My wife's T2i has it, so your T3i should too.

If you don't have an editor that will let you read he Exif data, one of the series of CDs that come with the cameras is posted somewhere on Canon's Web site. I'm not sure exactly where, but Customer Support should bee able to tell you if you can't find it. I don't believe you need the serial number in order to get that. It will include some version of Digital Photo Pro, which can read the Exif data. Or just download Irfanview or something similar and use that.

It's even conceivable that the serial number is included in the displayable "Info" data. It might at least be worth a look.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Depending on your camera, it could be under Internal Serial Number. If this is a case, the numbers might not match but it is still a unique identifier for the camera. Canon should be able to convert the Internal Serial Number into the regular one. Contact Canon for support.

An online exif viewer is Get-Metadata.  Get-Metadata displays everything in a single window. Drag and drop an image you’ve taken with the camera onto Get-Metadata.

8serial.png

... or,

9internal.png

Your camera’s serial number is embedded in any image you take, the serial number of your lenses isn’t.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This answer is perfect. I was able to get the serial number for my SL1 (100D). Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, Canon support phone number is 1 (800) 652-2666.  Smiley Happy

EB

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Ok, so if the computer is not able to connect to the camera without the canon software, you will need to get a card reader (a simple USB cardreader can be had for fairly cheap). Take the card out of the camera and insert it into the card reader to access the pictures on the card then follow the directions ebrigg gave for seeing the EXIF data to get the internal serial number. That should get you started.

But be aware that the serial number may have been scratched off due to the camera actually being stolen at some point and that may keep you from being able to download the software.

"...the camera actually being stolen at some point and that may keep you from being able to download the software."

Good point.

EB
Announcements