cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel XTI error 99 - Sigma 70-300mm

WilliamsBlades
Apprentice

Is there a way to fix my Sigma 70-300mm lens. when I put it on my Rebel XTI  I get an error 99? There is a guy in Canada that says he has a re-chip for it, which requires opening the lens, cutting and soldering on the inside.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"Are these lenses repairable or even worth repairing?"

Well William without being unkind, no, probably not.  They sell for $200 bucks if my memory serves me correctly.  A good used one around a C note.  I think I would look new/used if you are certain the lens is the problem.

You really need another camera to try it on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@WilliamsBlades wrote:

Is there a way to fix my Sigma 70-300mm lens. when I put it on my Rebel XTI  I get an error 99? There is a guy in Canada that says he has a re-chip for it, which requires opening the lens, cutting and soldering on the inside.

My first instinct says pass on the offer from “a guy in Canada.”

Do other lenses work properly with the camera?  
Do other cameras also have an error message with that lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My Canon 18-55 lens (Kit lens) works well on the camera; it is only this Sigma Lens that gives me an error 99. I do not know if it works with other cameras as this is my only camera. I do not see any indication of external damage.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

You don't have many options.

Sigma wise, no options.  Lens cannot be updated unless by Sigma (themselves) and I don't see any mention of FW as this is not a Global Vision, Sport, Art or C Series lens.

The Canon XTI has a FW update (v1.1.1), but it doesn't state anything in regards to Sigma Lens compatibility...  Adds 3 new (Canon) lenses and Polish Language.

Canon Japan

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosdigital3/e4kr3_firmware-e.html

Same but US:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-dslr/eos-digital-r...

My recommendation.  Time for a new body.  That lens on any APS-C camera is the equivlent of 112-480mm.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned the first thing I did was update the software to 1.1.1 and it did not fix it either. I was given the camera so I'm not out any money so maybe the best option is to upgrade to something a little newer but also in the affordable range.

Have you talked to Sigma?

"I should have mentioned the first thing I did was update the software to 1.1.1 and it did not fix it either."

Canon does not update or even create FW to make off brand lenses work with their cameras.  That just ain't gonna happen.

Your only solution is to try the lens on a different camera.  I suspect it will not work with it either as I think the lens is faulty.

We know your camera is good as you stated your other kit lens works fine.  Error 99 means either the camera is broken, which includes the CF card, or the lens is.  Process of tedious elimination leaves us to look at the lens.  Make sense?

EB

WilliamsBlades
Apprentice
Makes perfect sense, thank you. Are these lenses repairable or even worth repairing?

"Are these lenses repairable or even worth repairing?"

Well William without being unkind, no, probably not.  They sell for $200 bucks if my memory serves me correctly.  A good used one around a C note.  I think I would look new/used if you are certain the lens is the problem.

You really need another camera to try it on.

EB

Again, contact Sigma. If it is just a firmware update it might be pretty cheap.

Announcements