cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel XSI

emsplawn
Contributor

Hello

I was wondering what is a good setting for taking pictures of a livestock show? My images are coming out really blurry.

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@emsplawn wrote:
That’s what I don’t know how to do

Sorry for the long winded post, but I cut my digital teeth, so to speek, with this camera and I almost feel obligated to share my experience 🙂

I know you are in the process of getting the manual, at least I hope so, but I'll tell you how to do this, just in case.

As mentioned, I own this camera and shot with it for a year or so, but it's been a while and it's in my camera collection now.

First, right behind the shutter is a dial/wheel. When in any of the "creative" modes (Tv,Av,M, and sometimes P), that wheel will adjust the settings for whatever mode you are in, for example, if you are in Tv mode, it will raise or lower your shutter speed, when in Av it will adjust your aperture, and so on. Behind that wheel is a button labeled "ISO". Push that and you will get a screen with your ISO options, Auto - 100 through 1600. Just in case you don't understand ISO, it adjusts the sensitivity of your sensor to light. You will have to toggle (press) the DISP. (Display) button to see this and it's in the upper left just beside the MENU button. Once the ISO screen displays, use the aforementioned wheel to scroll through your options, then press the "SET" button when on the ISO setting you want. ISO can be set in "P", but not in AUTO (the green square. You can also see this info in the viewfinder, it will be displayed in green just under your image. This will allow you to change settings "on the fly" without having to look at the back of the camera while using the wheel.

As Ernie mentioned, your shutter speed is way too low for that particular lens and venue. It appears to be the original kit lens, which although pretty good at the time, has fallen way behind in both image quality and image stabalization (IS), the latter being the most important in your situation. The newer model has an "STM" focus system (and better IS), and I don't see that [STM] on the lens.

FOR THIS CAMERA AND LENS:

As for which mode, I would use Tv and experiment with ISO. Maybe Tv 200 and ISO 800. I do use Av on some of my other cameras, which allows you to adjust your Depth of Field (DOF), for macro and any other shot I take when using a tripod and don't particularly care how fast my shutter speed is. Av, adjusted properly, will give you better DOF but will also decrease the amount of light that hits your sensor, i.e., greater DOF - less light, and in your case low shutter speeds. Some photographers use Av for action, but they have high end cameras that will handle high ISO, but even they usually have to remove noise in post processing for shots with high shutter speeds. When I was using this camera with a 70-300mm lens, I usually stayed on ISO 400 and 800, but I was shooting birds and usually in a dark forest environment. ISO noise was acceptable, for me anyway, but as mentioned, noise would increase with shutter speeds, say Tv 1/800th / ISO 800, and 1600 was not acceptable for me, ever.

Now, something you should consider is shooting Raw+Jpeg (RAW+L in your menu - very 1st setting under "Quality") and downloading Canon's free Digital Photo Pro 4 (DPP 4). With this program you can use lens correction, noise reduction, along with other settings to improve your images. You may even find that just shooting Raw, which I ended up doing, will give you the best images and control. From looking at your photos, besides them having motion blur, the "White Balance" setting in DPP (or your camera for that mater) will help. Yes, it's just something else to learn, but it's pretty simple to use and has a manual, plus a pile of youtube tutotials. If you plan to continue using this camera/lens combo in this type of environment, you need some post processing even if you get your shutter speed up. Use the camera to get the best shots you can, then edit the Raw files in DPP 4.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

emsplawn
Contributor
Thank you greatly this was super helpful

"As for which mode, I would use Tv and experiment with ISO."

The problem here is the lens.  You are going to be at wide open aperture all the time most likely anyway. That is the description of Av mode not Tv.  Your SS is the only real varabile you have, not the aperture. If you fix your SS doing so with Tv mode you have basically locked the only adjustment you had left.

It is true when using Av mode that you may still get a blurry photo but you will at least get a photo. If you have Tv mode and a fixed 1/200 SS, for example, the lens may not and most likely will not be able to open the aperture engough for proper exposure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"As for which mode, I would use Tv and experiment with ISO."

"The problem here is the lens.  You are going to be at wide open aperture all the time most likely anyway."

Exacttly, so why bother with Av. You know it's going to be wide open.

"Your SS is the only real varabile you have, not the aperture. If you fix your SS doing so with Tv mode you have basically locked the only adjustment you had left."

As mentioned, aperture will be fixed at "wide open" so you don't need control, that is, in this situation. However, you do still have control over ISO which will better serve Tv with this camera/lens at this venue. Exposure compensation may help, but I have never used that feature with the XSi, so I can't say for sure.

"It is true when using Av mode that you may still get a blurry photo but you will at least get a photo. If you have Tv mode and a fixed 1/200 SS, for example, the lens may not and most likely will not be able to open the aperture engough for proper exposure."

He already has blurry photos. The objective is to get at least sharper photos. Stopping down aperture in poor lighting, in my experience, will not do that. They need more "action stopping" and SS is the only way in these conditions. DOF will get deeper, even wide open, at distance using a tele, so I seldom worry about DOF for anything over 30 feet when using a tele and that is the only reason I use Av, when I do, to control DOF. Also, 200 may be to fast, agreed, but that was just a starting point.

The OP may indeed end up at ISO 1600 as the XSi only has 6 ISO options (1600 being the highest) and that may be acceptable for them (different strokes). That is why I suggested DPP. Even if he gets a poorly lit or noisy image, they can still get acceptable images in post, provided they are in focus with no motion blur.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

"Exacttly, so why bother with Av. You know it's going to be wide open."

Because you have basically put the OP in manual mode. If the aperture is known to be open as wide as it will go and you then fix the SS in Tv mode that is the same as being manual. If you think that is best practice you better select auto ISO unless you truly want full manual.

"He already has blurry photos."

Correct so nothing is lost and perhaps sharper photos with proper exposure is the reward.

"I seldom worry about DOF ..."

I do not recall the OP asking or worrying about DOF. Maybe they did and I missed it.

Av mode is the most useful semi auto mode.  That is why the very first fledgling AE film cameras had it and not Tv.

EB

Ironically, we are discussing technique from a picture taken off the cameras LCD with probably a cell phone. Neither of us knows what the arena lighting is actually like, although we have probably both been there and done that. Our clues are the OP says "blurry" and  we can see that along with the shutter speed being 1/15th - aperture f/5 (wide open for this lens). My, and apparently others in this thread, initial thought is to raise shutter speed.
@ebiggs1 wrote:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Exacttly, so why bother with Av. You know it's going to be wide open."

"Because you have basically put the OP in manual mode. If the aperture is known to be open as wide as it will go and you then fix the SS in Tv mode that is the same as being manual. If you think that is best practice you better select auto ISO unless you truly want full manual."

The same can be said for aperture priority.

"He already has blurry photos."

"Correct so nothing is lost and perhaps sharper photos with proper exposure is the reward."

It's just my opinion that a faster shutter is going to sharpen up his photos.

"I seldom worry about DOF ..."

"I do not recall the OP asking or worrying about DOF. Maybe they did and I missed it."

They didn't, I got off on a tangent. My primary use of Av is to adjust DOF. My bad! But the comment is still relevant. If the OP does get proper exposre using shutter and ISO, DOF is not a worry at 255mm and the distance they appear to be at.

Av mode is the most useful semi auto mode.  That is why the very first fledgling AE film cameras had it and not Tv.

That hasn't been my experience, but you and I probably shoot different subjects. I shoot almost exclusively in low light and need to stop action as best I can. I don't have a problem using Tv and ISO to get proper exposure and if I do, I rescue it in post.

They added Tv pretty quickly, IIRC, so they must have seen some value in it. My wife, in those days (1977-1999), was the pro, so I'm not sure what features her older 35mm slrs had. I wasn't interested in photography, except for the paycheck, but I do remember her being very happy with her first EOS even though she had to change out her glass to EF. I did help in the darkroom sometimes, and on site, changed her film, which was either ISO 200, 400, 800, or the beloved 1000, and handed her the propper camera/lens/ISO combo. I did learn though and was the first to go digital after she retired. It was hard to get her to pick up a digital, but she eventually took one of my hand-me-downs and is shooting again (not for sale). She just bought the R6. But, I digress, LOL!

"I don't have a problem using Tv and ISO to get proper exposure"

What you are missing is in Tv mode you generally have fewer settings available.  Most of the time Av mode offers more. However, in this case, we agree the lens is most likely going to be wide open.  It doesn't matter if you shoot in Av or Tv for that to  be true.  It is a fairly slow lens. In Av you still have the entire range of SS available.  Now on the other hand you select Tv mode you have eliminated any SS adjustment for exposure. The lens is wide open so it is fixed too!. Essentially putting the XSi in manual mode. Plus the XSi has a very limited ISO range. Whether the photo is sharp or blurry is secondary if exposure can't be successfully accomplished.

It is good you don't have problems getting proper exposure using Tv mode but we are not dealing with your shooting but trying to help the OP get proper exposed and sharper photos. You must keep in mind all camera/lens combos have their limits.  It is possible this is the case here and nothing short of better gear is the answer. In this case, adding light is also probably not an answer.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I don't have a problem using Tv and ISO to get proper exposure"

"What you are missing is in Tv mode you generally have fewer settings available." -SNIP-

Does it matter as long as the goal is achieved by getting a sharp well exposed image? Don't get me wrong, I do use Av at times, but I've never found any more settings that you don't get in TV. But as you mention below, we are trying to help the OP, and since he marked it solved, maybe we did.

"It is good you don't have problems getting proper exposure using Tv mode but we are not dealing with your shooting but trying to help the OP get proper exposed and sharper photos. You must keep in mind all camera/lens combos have their limits.  It is possible this is the case here and nothing short of better gear is the answer. In this case, adding light is also probably not an answer."

Actually, we are dealing with my shooting style/technique. I've used the XSi and similar lens to get the same types of shots I now go for with the 7D2 and 5D4, so I know that camera/lens and its capabilities. That is the only reason I gave advice.

emsplawn
Contributor
Can y’all recommend a good lens for sports shootings.

@emsplawn wrote:

That would really depends on the sport, and whether you're indoors or out.  You cannot go wrong with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@emsplawn wrote:

That would really depends on the sport, and whether you're indoors or out.  You cannot go wrong with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

Excellent lens. I have both the f/4 and f/2.8 versions. 

But the OP has the 55-250 and given the theme of the thread and some of the OP's questions I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money on a lens like that. IMHO OP would be better served by first investing in a newer camera body. The capabilities offered by a current model Rebel will far exceed the two stop advantage of an f/2.8 lens. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements