Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon Rebel XS not recognized as device anymore

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am at my wits end trying to solve this delimma, but maybe joining this forum will be something positive to come out of this whole experience.

I purchased the Rebel XS package with two standard lenses from Sams about 3-4 years ago. I own Adobe Photoshop Elements and both it and the Canon EOS uploader open when I connect via usb to my pc.

So recently, I stay up late in the very cold weather (in AL) and take some shots of Jupiter using my tripod. I saw online to take pic of Jupiter I should set camera to RAW. I did so, even tho I don't think elements 5 can handle raw images. I forgot to put my camera in a baggy and let it gradually warm up inside since it was so cold outdoors- but I've been outdoors in the cold before.

I go to upload what i think might be a pretty cool shot of Jupiter and I can't do it. Then I notice I have used up almost 100% of my harddrive. Here is where I think I may have messed up and need advice on how to fix this. To make room on my harddrive, I cut and pasted the entire My Pictures folder to an external harddrive device.

So I've since made such a mess of things, that I copied my pics and documents to various external storage. I have a pc that is capable of installing XP or Windows 7. I had been using XP bc I was a contractor who needed my software I'd purchased to work and it wouldn't run on 7. Out of work, I decided to upgrade to Windows 7. I put all the required disks that came with PC and erased my harddrive. I reinstalled the Canon Software and Photoshop Elements 5. I still can't get pc to recognize my camera. I think somewhere along the way I clicked something that made it think I wanted to go wireless. I can't figure out how to undo that. I am also suspicious that me doing that could have caused the issue this time bc I had some sort of error message that mentioned wireless. I do not recall the exact message.

My husband says we are too broke to call the GeekSquad. Boohoo. It's maddening bc I have pictures of items I wish to sell on ebay and can't do so. I also have a babybook to make. Any help would be so appreciated!!

I'm glad to have found this forum. I have other questions for later as well- after I figure out this issue.

Thanks,

Michele