cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel XS intermittently not turning on.

kuziwk91
Contributor

I bought a used canon Rebel XS, everything looked in great shape and the camera worked great at the time of purchase. Upon actually using the camera i've been running into issues regarding the power turning on and off. The camera is my girlfriends, and i already spent quite a bit on her christmas gifts already so im trying to keep money to a minimal. At any rate, i had the camera sitting in the back of my jeep which may have gotten to about 10 degrees C, in this scenareo the camera will just not turn on. I thought at first because its cold, however it should still operate fine in 10 Degrees C. Essentially i re-insert the battery and mem card leave the switch to "on" for a few minutes than turn it back off, after about 10 minutes the camera will power up and take pictures great. I have three different batteries so i doubt that is the issue, one thing i will mention is the camera will not turn on with no lense or memory card, however with no lense and a memory card it will turn on. With a lense and no memory card it wont turn on. Not sure if those details matter or not. Another example of it acting funny in just about freezing temps and taking photos the camera will shut down and will not turn back on until the whole camera is warmed up and the battery has been inserted serveral times. It almost seems to be that there is a loose connection or faulty battery switch. Ive read the internal battery can cause strange issues, however i could not find any way to replace the battery.

Any thoughts? I've read about the canon loyalty program, however ideally i dont want to be spending more than $150 on a body. I imagine a repair will cost over $200. The only option i see fit is to purchse another used canon body and give it to her, take apart the existing one and see whats going on inside. Im not an electrical enginner however i have some experience with iphones and various other small electronics repair, such as cracked screens and the likes so i dont see it being much more difficult than what im used to.  

20 REPLIES 20

kuziwk91
Contributor
Sorry, just to add to my thoughts...a theory i had was that the temperature caused components to expand and contract causing a possible disconnection with a switch the PCB?

Really hoping someone can help me out, this would be my first DSLR i've ever bought.

@kuziwk91 wrote:
Sorry, just to add to my thoughts...a theory i had was that the temperature caused components to expand and contract causing a possible disconnection with a switch the PCB?

Really hoping someone can help me out, this would be my first DSLR i've ever bought.

Buying a used camera is like buying a used car: you have to know what to look for and how to find it if it's there. Inexperienced users should probably not attempt it.

Given your description of the symptoms, it sounds as though something may be loose. I'd have to wonder if the camera had been dropped.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It sounds like you got a bad one.  You are probably right, it will cost more to repair it than it is worth.  Rebels are great cameras bought new but they are fragile enough that careful examination must be made on a used one.  Who knows how it was handled or used?  It is a 7 or 8 year old design now and that is a long time in electronics.

The Canon Loyality Program is not advertised much.  I would call Canon and ask if it is still going on and the exact details.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kuziwk91
Contributor

I know guy you are right on the money, the two [...] who sold it too me used ripped me off. At ant rate I purchased another canon xs for $220 used but it's in almost brand new shape and has barely been used. In the meantime my girlfriend has taken the broken canon xs in for repair for a quote but I likely think it will cost $200 which is not worth it. Beyond stating the obvious that I got ripped off...does anyone have any constructive thoughts as to why the camera is having issues. Loose memory card ribbon or should I reflash the firmware??? Im very tempted to take it apart....the biggest issue is when the camera is stored in anywhere mentionably lower than room temp but.above freezing the camera will not turn back on without fiddling with the battery door or memory card door.

You did try a new battery and charger?  Updating the firmware will do nothing.

Sometimes it is good to know when to say enough.

EB

kuziwk91
Contributor
Oh and BTW I did call about the loyalty program, they will knock off 25% of a new camera which is alright I guess. However I could likely get more for the camera on ebay...still a nice feature though. Ive spent enough money with these cameras...I just got back from a $1200 weekend in.Banff with the girlfriend and I'm going to mexico in January... Im not really sure I feel comfortable spending anymore money. Perhaps a tax refund next year...?

kuziwk91
Contributor
No I have not yet tried a new battery other than the three that came with the camera, two of those are Chinese knockoffs. My girlfriend got the camera back from McBain camera...apparently they took it apart and said there was nothing wrong with it...go figure. They said pop the battery out and put it back in when it does it.... as all canon xs's act like that. umm no they don't becuase the second used one I bought for a girlfriend which is the same exact camera works great. Not to mentioned firmware 1.07 is supposed to fix the issues with the camera, which my camera is running. They mentioned about cold weather and the camera not operating well in cooler temps. Yes I'm aware of that, however I was using the camera at 0c which is right around that threshold ...and again my new used camera works fine. Do.you guys think it could be a bad clock battery? I've heard the camera won't boot up if there is no clock.battery...so a failing ond may cause issues as well...no?

I do not think the clock battery has anything to do with this.  It only keeps track of the date.  When one fails you have to set the time and clock each tiem you turn it on.   Besides I am not sue the XS has a replaceable one.

EB

Yes you are correct it is not replaceable, however i dont mind taking it apart and trying to replace it myself. THe funny thing is they claim there is nothing wrong with the camera and accroding to them they had said they took it apart. I myself find this very hard to beleive....perhaps its something to do with the battery door....i will look at it more closely.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements