cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7i Won't Connect To MacBook Pro OSX High Sierra 10.13.1

ez03
Apprentice

Hello everyone, 

I just got the Canon Rebel T7i and I'm having some issues with getting my MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.1 to read the camera when it's connected via USB. 

I was earlier able to get my iPhone to connect to it using the Canon Connect utility, was able to get all the features of that app working. I spoke to Tech Support about the USB issue when connected to my Mac, and they kind of gave up, telling me to try again when I purchase a new camera cable (this didn't come with a cable, so i am using a camera cable from a previous camera - they said this might be the issue as they can be finicky when connected using chargin cable instead of communication cable? Does that sound right?

The tech also seemed unsure about the fact my MacBook Pro is one of the newer ones with the USB-C outlets rather than the old regular 3.0/3.1. 

Anyway, I've tried running the software i've downloaded from the Canon website, the EOS utility, both 1 and 3. I've tried checking System Applications to see if it's reading in there, and it's not. I've also tried checking Image Capture, and that too is not working. 

The camera seems to freeze every time i plug it into the computer. I've tried several reboots of the Mac and Camera. If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it. Until then, i'm hoping that a new camera chord will do the trick. 

Thank you,

Ez03

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you having issues connecting other devices to your MAC? 

The camera is a USB 2.0 Mini B 5 pin.  If you have a new MacBook, it has USB-C.  The cable could be a problem, especially if you are using one of lower quality or in conjunction with a USB to USB-C adapter. 

What happens if you connect the camera to another computer, say a wndows machine?

Sent you a PM that includes a link for a good $7 cable

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If WiFi is active then the wired connection is disabled (it's an either/or connection, both can't be enabled at the same time.)  So if you've enabled WiFi to pair the camera, you'll need to disable WiFi to use the "wired" connection to the laptop.

You can connect the laptop wirelessly to the camera by enabling WiFi in the camera and using "EOS Utility" on the Mac.

I put that in quotes because the exactness of the name is important.  When you installed the software, it should have created a folder within your "Applications" folder named "Canon Utilities" with several different programs.  Within that you'll have a sub-folder named "EOS Utility" which contains an application also named "EOS Utility".  But this has yet another sub-folder on your computer likely named "EU3" which contains an application named "EOS Utility 3".

"EOS Utility 3" is the application that actually talks to your camera via the wired USB connection.  But if you want to use it wirelessly, you must launch "EOS Utility" (and not "EOS Utility 3").  You'll get a dialog box that shows it wants to pair or connect to your camera via WiFi.  

If you want to do a USB connection, disable the camera's WiFi and launch "EOS Utility 3" (you should have version 3.7.0 and if you don't, go here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t7i-body?ta...

Then tell it you have macOS 10.12 Sierra (even though you really have 10.13 High Sierra) and you'll find the utilities to download.  EOS Utility 3.7.0 runs fine on High Sierra (I run High Sierra and have no issues.)

If you want to buy a direct cable so that you don't need an adapter, do a search for "USB-C to Mini-B" and you should find lots of them available.  Just make sure it's a data cable and not a charging cable.    Many devices come with USB "charging" cables that only wire the power pins (data pins are not really connected).  I recently cut a cable open and verified that there really were just two wires running from end to end and it was a "charging" cable and not a fully wired "data" cable.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you having issues connecting other devices to your MAC? 

The camera is a USB 2.0 Mini B 5 pin.  If you have a new MacBook, it has USB-C.  The cable could be a problem, especially if you are using one of lower quality or in conjunction with a USB to USB-C adapter. 

What happens if you connect the camera to another computer, say a wndows machine?

Sent you a PM that includes a link for a good $7 cable

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick, that does make me feel more confident that it is the cord, because I'm afraid the one i'm using is pretty old. Your intuition was also correct in thinking that i had it paired with a USB-C adapter; I was unsure how sensitive these cameras would be to using not the best cords. If they are known to be picky when using off-brand cords or transfering through adapters and whatnot, I have pretty much everything working against me with this one. 

My work computer might be able to check it, that's a PC, but I don't believe i'll be able to download software on it. I'll just pick up the cord and try again. I'll see if my computer reacts at all to having it plugged in, too. 

I'll check my messages now, I just got the notification. I really appreciate it, thanks for the help. 

Hans

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If WiFi is active then the wired connection is disabled (it's an either/or connection, both can't be enabled at the same time.)  So if you've enabled WiFi to pair the camera, you'll need to disable WiFi to use the "wired" connection to the laptop.

You can connect the laptop wirelessly to the camera by enabling WiFi in the camera and using "EOS Utility" on the Mac.

I put that in quotes because the exactness of the name is important.  When you installed the software, it should have created a folder within your "Applications" folder named "Canon Utilities" with several different programs.  Within that you'll have a sub-folder named "EOS Utility" which contains an application also named "EOS Utility".  But this has yet another sub-folder on your computer likely named "EU3" which contains an application named "EOS Utility 3".

"EOS Utility 3" is the application that actually talks to your camera via the wired USB connection.  But if you want to use it wirelessly, you must launch "EOS Utility" (and not "EOS Utility 3").  You'll get a dialog box that shows it wants to pair or connect to your camera via WiFi.  

If you want to do a USB connection, disable the camera's WiFi and launch "EOS Utility 3" (you should have version 3.7.0 and if you don't, go here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t7i-body?ta...

Then tell it you have macOS 10.12 Sierra (even though you really have 10.13 High Sierra) and you'll find the utilities to download.  EOS Utility 3.7.0 runs fine on High Sierra (I run High Sierra and have no issues.)

If you want to buy a direct cable so that you don't need an adapter, do a search for "USB-C to Mini-B" and you should find lots of them available.  Just make sure it's a data cable and not a charging cable.    Many devices come with USB "charging" cables that only wire the power pins (data pins are not really connected).  I recently cut a cable open and verified that there really were just two wires running from end to end and it was a "charging" cable and not a fully wired "data" cable.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ez03
Apprentice

Thank you guys. And thanks for not pointing out that I misspelled “cord” not once but three times! Haha

I ordered the cable that Rick included in his PM to me. I was still having issues even with WiFi disconnected, but i did set up the wifi to connect to the camera rather than both the mac and camera connecting over wifi, and that actually works pretty well. 

ez03 wrote:

Thank you guys. And thanks for not pointing out that I misspelled “cord” not once but three times! Haha

I ordered the cable that Rick included in his PM to me. I was still having issues even with WiFi disconnected, but i did set up the wifi to connect to the camera rather than both the mac and camera connecting over wifi, and that actually works pretty well. 

Some alleged USB cables are charging cables only; they don't include the data strands. If that's your problem, the cable that Rick recommended should solve it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements