cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7- can’t take pictures with plain backdrop

Ckopp63
Apprentice
Hello-
I am trying to take pictures of me and my baby using the self timer... however, when I press the button to take the picture it keeps focusing and won’t start the timer. ( I’m using a solid color back drop) I’ve tried using manual focus and it will take the picture but it is blurry.. any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The camera can only focus if it has enough light and suffiicient contrast. You need to select centerpoing focus and be sure you are centered in the image window.

Put a chair or a table and lamp in the position you will be located and focus camera. Switch to MF and stand in place of the prop.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I’ve tried using manual focus and it will take the picture but it is blurry.. "

You just missed the focus. Try it again but be very critical on the focus point. Put something in the exact spot you will be and focus on it.  Vertical lines are best.  If you have some vertical lines in the shot AF might even work. Not many if any camera can focus on a solid color BG.

Now the next issue is DOF. Depth of field. It is a term that dictates how much of the photo will be in sharp focus.  I suspect you are indoors where the light  isn't optimal and the camera is selecting a more open aperture, say f2 for example. The DOF at f2 and a relatively close to the camera distance, the DOF will shrink to a few inches or less.  Adding some extra light can let the camera select an aperture, say f8, where the DOF will be much larger.  More in focus is the nottom line.

So try critical MF and add some light to the subject. You'll do fine. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You might be able to get a remote trigger for your T7.  That way you can let it try and AF until it either does or does not.  Usually remoter trigger aren't too expensive but if you do a lot of this photography you will love it.

Again try to have some vertical lines in the shot. That will help.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You might be able to get a remote trigger for your T7.  That way you can let it try and AF until it either does or does not.  Usually remoter trigger aren't too expensive but if you do a lot of this photography you will love it.

Again try to have some vertical lines in the shot. That will help.

That was my first thought too; but I looked it up, and the T7 doesn't appear to have an IR receptor. The clumsy method using the self timer may be the only option.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would guess the T7 has a remote shutter input port, either wired or wireless. The wireless ones with the transmitter and receiver can be had for about 20-30 dollars. They do come in handy and the transmitters are usually small so for a self-portrait, it can be concealed. 

"I would guess the T7 has a remote shutter input port, either wired or wireless..."

I am not up on the T7 but I would certainly think there was a wired remote trigger.  And, I would much prefer it over the iphone connection.

EB

Yes, it does have a remote shutter input port. It takes the same wired Remote Switch RS-60E3 as other Rebels do or any 2.5mm plug-in type wired or wireless switch. Some of those wireless transmitters are small. like the size of your cars key FOB and easy to use and keep out of the shot

"Yes, it does have a remote shutter input port..."  Smiley Happy

"Holding a (probably wriggling) baby while operating a camera via a smartphone? Good luck with that!" Smiley Frustrated

Yes good luck with that. 

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can also use your smartphone:

Untitled.jpg

If you don't have the Wireless Connection manual, you can download it from the Canon Support site.

Announcements