cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T5i question - smudge/scratch in viewfinder

ssantos1
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a t5i and it was the store's display model (they display their models OFF and the shutter count was only at 54 after taking some photos). It looks like there is a smudge/scratch on one of the mirrors or the sensor inside the camera and was wondering what I could do to fix this. It was visible through the viewfinder but I cleaned it a little bit to where it's rarely noticeable through the viewfinder when the 18-55 lens is connected, however you can still see it just by looking at where the sensor is. I have pictures to describe what it is. I believe it is the mirror/glass part on the roof of the inside but I would like a second opinion. Thank you! (Might I add this doesn't affect my images or video, they still come out fine)

IMG_2370.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi ssantos1!

Thank you for the post.

If the video and still images do not show any sign of the scratch, then the image sensor is fine, which is good.  It is likely that the scratch is on the mirror or on the focusing screen.  This can be fixed by our Factory Service Center if you sent it to them.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Forget it.  You will not be able to remove that "scratch".  It has to be replaced.  You, or anyone, should NEVER touch that screen.  Don't mess around in there !  Bad things can happen.

Send it to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

^^ agree!

The screen is delicate.  The screen is not in the image path for the camera -- meaning if you have dust on the screen it will not appear in the images you capture (you only see through the screen when composing and focusing through the optical viewfinder.)  

If it does get dust on it, nothing more than a hand-squeeze air blower (e.g. such as a Giottos Rocket Air blower) should be used to dislodge the dust.  Don't physically "touch" the screen.  

Some Canon cameras have optional focusing screens (e.g. screens with gridlines for compositional aid; screens with extra-fine surface texture to allow for more accuate manual focus, etc.) and these screens come with a tool which resembles a pair of tweezers designed to clamp on to a tiny tab at the edge of the screen because it is so important that you not get your fingers anywhere near it.  (Canon does not make optional focus screens for Rebel series bodies ... but the focus screens on all cameras are basically designed to work the same -- so the same precautions that apply to cameras that DO have user-replaceable focus screens also apply to your camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements