cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Canon Rebel T5) Smudge on Sensor (I can't find "clean sensor" in settings)

sarujan
Apprentice

I have a really big smudge in the middle of my shot view. I switched lenses and the problem is still there. I saw online that Canon Rebel T5 has a function in settings that cleans the sensor. I can't find it though. I am in urgent need of help. Thank you so much.

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The T5 is a basic camera that does not have a self cleaning sensor.  It does have a manual sensor cleaning mode, but I recommend you read up on the procedure, or watch some video, before attempting it yourself. 

Mike Sowsun

Sorry, I actually fixed this issue for everyone who sees this. The fix was that you need a high battery percentage to use the "clean sensor" function

You probably also have to be in P A S or M mode.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

If the T5 does indeed have a "sensor cleaning" mode, I expect that it will only remove dust particles and such from the sensor. If the sensor has an actual "smudge" on it, like a fingerprint or similar, the camera's self-cleaning function isn't probably going to do the job.

The T5 does not have an "Auto" sensor cleaning mode. But, like all DSLRs, it does have a "Manual" sensor cleaning mode. 

Manual Sensor Cleaning (EOS REBEL T5/EOS 1200D) 

_001.jpg

_002.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Mike coming through with fantastic tips! 

Here's a video of Holly showing you how you can do it, too:

That is a very good tutorial, I have not seen it before.

I did have a question about the OP query.  The "cleaning sensor" feature available on certain Canon models will not clean a "smudge" off the sensor.

One other point, although I am not a Canon employee or spokes person or anybody for that matter, I do have nearly six decades of photography experience in both job related and hobby. I only remember cleaning the lens contacts doing any good only a very few times. Yet it seems to be the first remedy offered by Canon.  The possibility of damage far out weighing the benefit.  If you must, use a tiny amount of alcohol on a qtip or similar swab.  Believe it or not there is lubrication inside there that doesn't care for alcohol.  Believe it or not there are folks that think anything designed for electronic cleaning is good for cameras.  Caned air, solvents, etc. The folks that never change lenses seem to be the ones that do benefit form lens contact cleaning.

I generally tell folks never put anything smaller than a football in the camera mirror box!  My two cents and worth every penny. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That is a very good tutorial, I have not seen it before.

I did have a question about the OP query.  The "cleaning sensor" feature available on certain Canon models will not clean a "smudge" off the sensor.

One other point, although I am not a Canon employee or spokes person or anybody for that matter, I do have nearly six decades of photography experience in both job related and hobby. I only remember cleaning the lens contacts doing any good only a very few times. Yet it seems to be the first remedy offered by Canon.  The possibility of damage far out weighing the benefit.  If you must, use a tiny amount of alcohol on a qtip or similar swab.  Believe it or not there is lubrication inside there that doesn't care for alcohol.  Believe it or not there are folks that think anything designed for electronic cleaning is good for cameras.  Caned air, solvents, etc. The folks that never change lenses seem to be the ones that do benefit form lens contact cleaning.

I generally tell folks never put anything smaller than a football in the camera mirror box!  My two cents and worth every penny. Smiley Happy

You're right - a "smudge" is something that will have to be "physically" removed, and that's something we only recommend you do yourself if you're absolutely comfortable with doing. There are kits sold online that are made for sensor cleaning, but usually, sending your camera in for Camera Maintenance Service (CMS) once a year or so is well worth it. They'll clean your camera's sensor, the body, and LCD - anywhere that they don't have to access using a screwdriver, and they'll verify your camera's firmware is up-to-date, and that it's working properly. There are two levels of CMS - a basic sensor cleaning, and the 18-point inspection/cleaning. Learn about both HERE

Announcements