cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T2i Flash will not work

marywhistler
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T2i.  My flash will not pop up and oddly enough there is no error.  The camera just keeps on taking pictures as if I have the "No Flash" selected.  When I take out the battery and push the flash button, the encasing remains closed/stuck.

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority
Try one thing... inspect your camera hot shoe carefully you will see a tiny black switch that is designed to be depressed when you install an external flash. This tells the camera you have an external flash and it disable your internal flash. When the external flash is mounted, the thin metal plate above the switch is depressed pushing the switch down. That thin metal plate doesn't go back up sometimes after you remove it. Sometimes a piece of dust get in between the two.

Use a thin piece of paper and run through the area between the switch and the metal plate above it then try your internal flash again.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

THANK YOU!!!  I removed the shoe and cleaned it.  As I did I noticed the rubber nobby button.  I put the shoe back on and as I took a picture, in a dark place simultaniously lifted the shoe spring bay over the rubber knob with a small flat head and it WORKED!!  Thank you so much!!!  Forever Grateful!!!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The flash release button is electronic.  Pressing the button activates an electronic release latch so the spring-loaded flash can pop-up.  If there's no battery in the camera, then there's no power for that electronic latch.

If the battery is in and the camera is powered on and you press the release button then the flash SHOULD pop up.  If it doesn't, then it make be stuck (listen carefully for the sound of the electronic latch activating).  

You may need to _gently_ tug upward with your fingers when you press the button to give it some help.  If you do, then there may be something jamming the hinge.  Working it a bit and or a couple of drops of denatured alcohol (never use oil -- that will just attract more dirt... but denatured alcohol will help loosen whatever might be in there and will just evaporate so there's nothing to attract more dirt when you're done.)

ALSO... as Diverhank points out, there is a micro-switch which can stop the camera from using the internal flash.  Have you ever used a flash in the hot-shoe?  The micro-switch is hiding under one of the leaf springs (I think it's under the leaf-spring on the left side rail on the hot-shoe.)   Use a toothpick to gently wiggle that microswitch if it appears to be stuck down.  Any piece of grit could cause it to jam.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

PhillRoath
Contributor

Couple of good answers so far, but there is one more thing.  Check what your Mode Dial switch is set to.  Several of those positions do not allow for pop up just like you're describing.  Select the P mode and then try the button for flash pop up.

Phill

Announcements