Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon Rebel T1i (500d) External Monitor

I know it's a REALLY old camera, but I am still using the Canon Rebel T1i (500D). I was wondering if I could use the HDMI OUT port to connect an external monitor to the camera (for live view). If anyone knows, please respond. Thanks!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon Rebel T1i (500d) External Monitor

[ Edited ]

Sure, but note that it is not "clean" video, it is just a mirror of the LCD with all the shooting info icons.

And yours is not "Really old" we often get questions about Xs', Xi' and the odd Rebel G around here.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks! However, I don't understand what you mean by "clean" video. Are you saying that you can't shoot video with the monitor on?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sure, but note that it is not "clean" video, it is just a mirror of the LCD with all the shooting info icons.

And yours is not "Really old" we often get questions about Xs', Xi' and the odd Rebel G around here.

My wife and I still have our XTi's. We never use them, but they're available in case any of our grandchildren get interested enough to need something beyond their cell phones.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Just what I said. The video on the monitor has all the icons that show on the LCD while shooting a video like the focus point, the time remaining, the little red tally symbol...

If you are just using the monitor for review it is fine, if you are using an external recorder it might not work so well.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Okay. Thank you.