cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel SL2 & Rode Videomic Pro Plus Buzzing underlying audio

AJCruz23
Apprentice

I am having an issue while video recording with my SL2. I just got the videomic pro plus because I had heard great things about the audio quality but every time I record there is a soft buzzing that is constantly underlying the audio. I have tried the manual gain setting as low as 3 clicks and cant seem to figure out why this audio quality is this way? Any help is appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try turning off your phone. There have been reports that it may cause interference.

That actually helps a bit. Less of a crackly buzz now, but sounds like a slight more constant white noise. That may be more normal? Idk if I am just hyersensitive to it now and it is bugging me because of that. Open to trying out other ways to figure this out too.

Greetings,

Top FAQ from the Mic's product page:

Why do I get low level noise sound when recording on my camera?

• This is usually caused by the function of "Automatic Gain Control" or "AGC" on the camera.

Basically, when the camera cannot sense an audio input signal it automatically increases the gain of the input. It is increased so much that the noise floor in the camera microphone amplifier becomes audible .

The AGC can be disabled on some cameras and it is worth checking with you camera manufacturer for information on this, which can sometimes require a firmware update to the camera.

RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC.

We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera.

See page 271 and 272 of the SL2 manual. (Sound Recording Level)

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAyNzQ1NTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

I think its possible the noise is being generated because both the camera and Mic are using attenuation "gain" to capture sound.  You might need to experiment with the "Manual" setting turning it all the way down and allow the Mic's pre-amp to do the work.

Please let us know if this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! I have my manual setting turned down almost all the way but maybe what I will do is turn it completely down and see what results come of that. I will test that today and let you know. Otherwsie I am thinking I may just return the mic.

I appreciaet teh help and guidance!

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Top FAQ from the Mic's product page:

Why do I get low level noise sound when recording on my camera?

• This is usually caused by the function of "Automatic Gain Control" or "AGC" on the camera.

Basically, when the camera cannot sense an audio input signal it automatically increases the gain of the input. It is increased so much that the noise floor in the camera microphone amplifier becomes audible .

The AGC can be disabled on some cameras and it is worth checking with you camera manufacturer for information on this, which can sometimes require a firmware update to the camera.

RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC.

We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera.

See page 271 and 272 of the SL2 manual. (Sound Recording Level)

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAyNzQ1NTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

I think its possible the noise is being generated because both the camera and Mic are using attenuation "gain" to capture sound.  You might need to experiment with the "Manual" setting turning it all the way down and allow the Mic's pre-amp to do the work.

Please let us know if this helps.

I just heard a rumor that leaving Wi-Fi or Bluetooth turned on can create the hum.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I always turn both off while shooting. Unfortuantely theres always a low level humm going on. i'm thinking it may be just the camera itself. I will call Rode customer service today.

Are you working around any other potential source of RFI? Small electric motors, fans, transformers, power converters, fluorescent or even LED lighting, cordless phones or intercom systems?

Announcements