cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel SL2 - Cannot Shoot / Randomly takes pictures

rhinoace
Apprentice

Turn on Camera - No LCD picture in the back.  Switch to Video mode - LCD now works 

Sometimes when I turn on the camera - it automatically takes a picture... other times the shutter opens... then shuts.

Very weird.  I cleared all the settings as well but still doesn't allow me to take pic.  

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

@rhinoace wrote:

Canon Rebel SL2

Turn on Camera - No LCD picture in the back.  Switch to Video mode - LCD now works 

That is how a DSLR works, there is no picture on the LCD unless you switch it to Live view or video.

As to your other problems I have no answer other than for you to study the user manual, if you get to know how it all works then you can really decide if it has a fault or if it is just user error.

I know that.  I don't appreciate your response.  I was using the LCD screen to change or update the current shooting mode.  I can't take pics using the button.  You are not very helpful.

Your question was unclear. We get folks with many levels of experience, so it is difficult to read your mind. When you said "No picture on the back" it sounded like you wanted the sensor image on the LCD.

In any case, have you tried hitting the "Info" button?

If you are in green square with autofocus on the lens, outside on a sunny day and can't take a picture you need to call Canon. It sounds like the camera is defective.

"Cannot Shoot / Randomly takes pictures..." 

I don't want to seem like I am piling on since you didn't like the answers given but that statement alone is ambiguous.  WHat does "can't shoot" but "randomly takes pictures" mean?  Either it doesn't shoot or it does!

All you can do is reset it, Menus under tools clear all settings and custom settings, too.  Set the SL2 to P mode, ISO 200, average WB. Set the lens to AF. Large jpg. Go outside on a sunny day and take some shots. If it works as it should, it is OK and you set something wrong.  If it doesn't work as it should call Canon support for a repair ticket.

"I don't appreciate your response."

Like it or not this is your only course of action!  Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rhinoace wrote:

Check what shooting mode the camera is in. What do the pictures look like?  Does the camera beep when this happens?

This is probably normal.  The camera does not automatically switch to Live View on power up.

Sometimes when I turn on the camera - it automatically takes a picture...

This sounds like the camera is powering up into video mode, and you are hearing the mirror being raised.  What do the pictures look like.  I am betting that there is no picture being taken.

..other times the shutter opens... then shuts.

This sounds like a normal behavior, too.  The shutter does not open at power up.  I think you are hearing the mirror being raised.  After a brief pause, it may close.

Very weird.  I cleared all the settings as well but still doesn't allow me to take pic.  

I hate to say this, but all of this sounds like operator error.  Yes, you could have a bad camera.   But, it really does sound like you do not know what the camera is actually doing.  I think all of your observations are incorrect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

McKinley
Apprentice

When photos and videos are deleted or lost from your digital camera, the first thing you should do is to stop using your camera to shoot more photos. This will cause data to be overwritten. Take out your memory card or SD card from digital camera, and then get the powerful Canon photo recovery software

*What* Canon Photo Recovery software? I have been on this board for years and this is the first I have heard of it, can you link to it?

Being as he is a new poster and the mod edited something I wouldn't be surprised if it was a posting peddling a software product. (But i don't know for sure).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements