cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel EOS XTi will not take pictures on auto focus. The lens focuses, but won't take the pic.

Kal
Apprentice

I have the Canon EOS Rebel XTi and it has worked fine forever. Now, when I try to take a picture on auto focus, the lens will focus, but it will not take the picture. In the view area when I'm trying to take the picture, it always has the number 9 in the lower right corner with a flashing green light. It takes pictures just fine on manual focus, but doesn't work on auto. I have 3 lenses and they are all doing the same thing. Is there something I can do to fix this problem? I've tried removing the battery and memory card. I have switched the lenses back and forth between AF and MF, but nothing has worked so far.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

" In the view area when I'm trying to take the picture, it always has the number 9 in the lower right corner with a flashing green light. It takes pictures just fine on manual focus, but doesn't work on auto. "  

That flashing light is an indication that you are not achieving a focus lock, for some reason.  The light should flash while the lens focuses, and then turn solid when achieves focus.  You seem to have been using it long enough to know all about having enough light and contrast, so I am going to rule out operator error.

Try resetting the camera.  Check your manual on how to do a full reset, including clearing out date and time.  You may have to get the camera checked out professionally, if a full reset doesn't work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As stated, you need proper light and contrast and you need to be further than the lens minimum focusing distance.

Be sure you are on Single Shot and not AI Servo.

Switch to Green Square or P, go outdoors in good daylight and focus on something about 10 feet away.

If that doesn't work it sounds like a camera problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  the lens will focus, but it will not take the picture."

Are you sure it got AF?  I bet it didn't.  If it didn't it will not take a picture.  That is why it works in manual.  It then thinks you set everything correctly.

The go out side in the daylight and try a shot at something 25 or more feet away is great advice.  Does it now work, OK?  If no, then there is something worng with the XTi.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements