cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel EOS T6 Shutter sticks up and red light stays on

patastro
Contributor

Having an issue with my T6. When I go to take a photo and press the button, the shutter goes up, sticks and the red light in the bottom right corner stays light solid. It does not complete the photo.

I have to turn off the camera to get the shutter to close.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

Thanks,

Patrick

12 REPLIES 12

Shutters don't "go up" in any readily visible way. I suspect that your mirror is staying up. Look up "mirror lock" in your instruction manual.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes. Sorry, mistyped. Yes, the mirror stays up.

Seems that recharging the batteries solved the problem. Low battery power allowed the camera to turn on, and flip the mirror up. But that is all.

Seems to work now.

Thanks,

Patrick

@patastro wrote:

Yes. Sorry, mistyped. Yes, the mirror stays up.

Seems that recharging the batteries solved the problem. Low battery power allowed the camera to turn on, and flip the mirror up. But that is all.

Seems to work now.

Thanks,

Patrick

I doubt that low battery power would cause the observed effect. Specifically, I suspect that it takes more power to keep the mirror up than it does to let it spring back down. If you left the battery out while you charged it, it's more likely that that caused the camera to revert to its default settings.

But it doesn't matter, as long as the problem stays solved.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I thought that too (more power to hold the mirror up). But I tried resetting to default setting. No help.

I use a power grip with the camera which has two batteries. So while I charged one, the other one was still in the camera. i.e. I could still turn on the camera.

But after charging the one battery, it worked fine. I hope that was all it was. And that it keeps working.

Thanks,

Patrick

@patastro wrote:

I thought that too (more power to hold the mirror up). But I tried resetting to default setting. No help.

I use a power grip with the camera which has two batteries. So while I charged one, the other one was still in the camera. i.e. I could still turn on the camera.

But after charging the one battery, it worked fine. I hope that was all it was. And that it keeps working.

Thanks,

Patrick

Ditch the external wire for shutter control, because it raises more risks than it is worth.  Only use the grip for the extra battery power.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't use the external wire. Just use the grip for the extra battery power and the added real estate for gripping the camera.

@patastro wrote:

Thanks,

Patrick

Try to keep both batteries in your grip at the same amount of charging.  Re-charge them both before re-installing the pair into the battery grip.  If you wish to use just one, then use just one.

But, when you use a pair, make sure the pair is equally charged, so that the current demand is closer to balanced between the batteries.

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

It could be the Mirror Lock is on. This is a feature used to reduce vibration for macro and some long telephoto shots. If you have it turned on (see Menu) then pressing the shutter once will raise the mirror and a second press takes the picture. Check to see if it is turned on in Menu.

My guess is that the mirror may be sticking.. If it happens again, and the Mirror Lock is off, then I would have it cleaned. You could try blowing it out with canned air or have an expert do it. If you do it, hold the camera upside down so any loosened debris will fall out instead of settling back inside. Use the Tool Menu (#3) to lock the mirror up andd you will want to be blowing along the sides instead of just on the mirror or sensor.

Good luck.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

It could be the Mirror Lock is on. This is a feature used to reduce vibration for macro and some long telephoto shots. If you have it turned on (see Menu) then pressing the shutter once will raise the mirror and a second press takes the picture. Check to see if it is turned on in Menu.

My guess is that the mirror may be sticking.. If it happens again, and the Mirror Lock is off, then I would have it cleaned. You could try blowing it out with canned air or have an expert do it. If you do it, hold the camera upside down so any loosened debris will fall out instead of settling back inside. Use the Tool Menu (#3) to lock the mirror up andd you will want to be blowing along the sides instead of just on the mirror or sensor.

Good luck.

Bad advice.  Spraying canned air inside of a camera body is NOT a good idea, because it leaves residue behind.  Use a "rocket blower", instead.  It inadvisable to stick anything inside of the camera body to clean it.  If a puff of air cannot fix it, then leave it to the professionals to clean and check the camera body.

Announcements