Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon Eos Rebel T5I LCD Shuts Down After 30 Minutes

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to use my canon DSLR to broadcast a live podcast (the camera is sort of my webcam & my capture card captures the lcd screen on the camera), but the problem is, after 30 minutes, the LCD of my camera shuts off even if the auto-off function is disabled entirely. The battery is always fully charged and it always happens after 30 minutes of my camera being iddle. Anyone know how I set up my camera so it doesn't shut down like that. I've looked everywhere but no one seems to have the same issue as I do. Thanks a bunch!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon Eos Rebel T5I LCD Shuts Down After 30 Minutes

Page 186 of your manual:

2018-01-13.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
New Contributor

So even though I am not recording, I can't just let my camera open for more than 29 minutes & 59 seconds? Is there a way to bypass or do I have to buy an entirely new camera to do what I want to do?

Honored Contributor

VIICTIIM wrote:

So even though I am not recording, I can't just let my camera open for more than 29 minutes & 59 seconds? Is there a way to bypass or do I have to buy an entirely new camera to do what I want to do?

Your camera is designed to capture still photographs.  It just happens to have hardware that is capable of recording short video clips.  The keyword here is short.  If you need longer video clips, then purchase a video camera or camcorder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."