cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Eos Rebel: Flash will not pop up in full-auto mode...

LanceTrottier
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel.

Several days ago, while attempting to shoot in full-auto mode, the flash wouldn't pop up. I got a series of clicks, followed by an error message on the LED screen something to the effect that the auto flash is obstructed. This does not happen all of the time, but enough where I could lose a great shot.

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi LanceTrottier!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using.   Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks!

@Tiffany wrote:

Hi LanceTrottier!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using.   Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks!

EOS Rebel XTi DSLR. Even with nothing else attached... Occasionally use a Bower Auto Focus add-on flash, model SFD35C.

It is probably dirty. It happens as the camera ages as your XTi has. You can try to clean the levers with a tooth brush and a little denatured alcohol.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is probably dirty. It happens as the camera ages as your XTi has. You can try to clean the levers with a tooth brush and a little denatured alcohol.

Thank you. I love my Canon and will try that...

Yeah, give it a try but remember, little means little not a little is good so more is better. It fixed mine right up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

caseyonsfmuni
Apprentice

Has anyone who have similar problems with the POP UP Flash Error showing up when attempting to use camera.  I too, have the exact same problem and I am extremely frustrated by this.  I have tried everything and it still will not pop up automatically.  Any luck with the reported problems?

Yes, one of my two 7Ds has done this from new, over four years now... And I've seen it happen on various other Canon cameras.

Usually it's a very simple fix you can do yourself.

In the hotshoe, on the LH side (most cameras I've seen... may be on the other side on some models, I don't know), under one of the leaf springs, is a micro switch that's there to detect whenever an accessory flash is mounted on the camera and the built-in flash mustn't be allowed to pop up. What typically happens is that even though there is no accessory flash mounted, the leaf spring isn't allowing that micro switch to pop all the way back up. So the camera "thinks" there is an accessory flash mounted.

Usually this can be fixed very quickly and easily by using a mini screwdriver or a wooden toothpick, sliding that carefully under the leaf spring, starting from the open (forward) end of the spring toward the closed (rear) end, lifting the spring slightly and gently recurving it upward so that the micro switch can operate properly. Done.

In a few rarer cases I've seen reported, "gunk" gets into the hinges of the flash causing problems, causing similar problems. Those hinges can be cleaned as someone else described. I'd be very careful not to drip any of the cleaning solution (isopropyl/rubbing alcohol is what I'd use) down into the camera.

If you Google this, you'll find several websites with illustrations of the fixes mentioned above. (Also how to tighten the hot shoe's screws, should they ever loosen. That's another problem that occasionally occurs.)

The best solution, IMO, is to simply get an accessory flash and stop using the built-in. I almost never use any built-in, which is why I've never bothered  to fix that 7D with the problem. Built-in flashes are underpowered, are slow to recycle, and can only be located in the worst possible place for redeye and ugly shadow problems (too near and directly above the lens' axis). They drain the camera batteries heavily too. No thanks! I use accessory flashes, usually on a flash bracket and connected via an off-camera shoe cord. That solves all the problems with built-ins.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements