cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS RebelX - options for upgrading

dmk56
Apprentice

Hi All!

I was just given a Canon EOS RebelX.  This is a 35mm camera and came with a 35-80 lens.

Questions:  Other than buying a new body, is there a way to turn this into a digital camera?

Also, will the lens on this camera work on a Canon EOS Rebal digital camera?

5 REPLIES 5

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Dmk56,

Thank you for posting.

The Canon EF lenses you use with your camera are still compatible with Canon's new digital SLR camera bodies.

While Canon does not offer a service for converting your camera to the digital format, you may want to take advantage of the Canon Loyalty Program. This option allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon Camera for a discounted fee, and have it shipped via ground delivery. Replacement cameras offered through this program include a 1 year limited warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8:00 AM to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... will the lens on this camera work on a Canon EOS Rebal digital camera?"

Although it will 'work', I doubt you will want to use it.  A current Rebel with kit lens is a much better way to go.

A word about CLP. The CLP discounts are from the regular refurb prices. The on sale prices for refurbs and CLP prices are the same.  The desirable cameras run out of stock during these sales so you may not get what you want at the time.  At least this is my understanding of how CLP works currently.  CLP isn't the same as it once was.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, you can't make a film rebel into a digital rebel.

At one time there was some chatter about making a 35mm film canister sensor, but that came to nothing.

Ironically, I bet it is much more technically feasible now when there is absolutely no call for it.

kvbarkley wrote:

No, you can't make a film rebel into a digital rebel.

At one time there was some chatter about making a 35mm film canister sensor, but that came to nothing.

Ironically, I bet it is much more technically feasible now when there is absolutely no call for it.

It's like asking whether there's a way to convert a gasoline-powered automobile into an electric.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There was a Fiero Conversion kit at one time that did just that.

I guess that there are people still trying:

http://www.diyphotography.net/pseudo-film-canister-plans-succeed-others-failed-bringing-digital-sens...

Announcements