cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T6 won't connect to MacBook Pro

sauce
Apprentice

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), and my EOS T6 will not show up when I connect it to the computer.  My Mac has two USB-C ports and my camera's cord is a USB-A, but I have an adapter.  I've tried turning off the WiFi function on my camera, but it still won't work.  How can I fix this issue?

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not use a MAC, but anytime someone says "adapter", that raises a red flag.  Check your cable, too.  You should have had a cable that came with your camera.

Push come to shove, you can always use a card reader, assuming that your MAC does not already have a built-in reader slot.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a bunch! I'll look into that. But I am using the cable that came with my camera.

7Eleven
Apprentice

You might need to download the latest version of EOS utility for your camera. It looks like EOS utility for Sierra is the latest version available now. I hope that helps.

how do you dowload the new EOS??

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you say the camera "wont show up"... what exactly are you trying to do and/or expecting to happen?

It is possible to configure the Mac to auto-launch a software application when a camera is connected... my own Mac was specifically configured to not do this (because I have too many different photo applications so I always prefer to manually launch the software of my choice.)

What software are you trying to use?

You can check for the camera by launching the "System Information" utility (it's in the "Utilities" folder of your Mac but you can also get to it by clicking the Apple icon in the extreme upper-left corner of the screen and pick "About this Mac", then click the "System Report..." option and this will launch "System Information".  

In "System Information" check the "USB" section (in the left margin under the Hardware section) and scroll the list.

Note that the "System Information" utility builds the list of devices when it is launched... so the camera would need to be plugged in and powered on before you launch System Information (if you connect the camera after you launch System Information then it wont show up in the list unless you do a "File" -> "Refresh Information" to make it re-scan for connected devices.

BTW, the new Macs are all just switching over to the new USB-C standard... so you'll have to use the adapter (hopefully that's the Apple-branded adapter and not a 3rd party ... I get varying quality whenever I try 3rd party stuff but Apple seems to be really fussy about their own product quality and it tends to be rock solid.)

Anyway, I just did a quick search at Cables to Go and it is possible to buy a direct attach cable that is "USB-C to USB Mini-B".

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I've connected the camera successfully to my other Macs, so I think you may be right about the cable. I tried connecting the cable that came with the camera to the USB-C adapter on each of the plugs on my MacBook, so I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to an issue with the adapter. While the adapter works without issue on other things, there seems to be a problem with the data to and from the camera.

I've ordered a USB-mini to USB-C and am hoping that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

Turns out it wasn't the cable. I looked further into it, but still can't find a resolution.

Does the Mac that doesn't connect to the camera have Catalina?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

7Eleven
Apprentice
EOS Utility is on the Canon website. Look up your camera model and go to drivers and downloads > select your Operating System and version > download EOS Utility.
Announcements