cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T5 (Wifi SD Card Question) - Please Help

cprim72
Apprentice
I have been using Eye-Fi for years with my camera. Eyfi has been taken over my Keenai (the ability to display the pictures I have taken real time on my tablet from my camera) and I was bothered to know that Keenai is about to discontinue their service. I get this message from Canon support.(Not much help here) "The only wireless card that Canon has tested with the EOS Rebel T5, is the Eye-Fi card. I am unfamiliar with the Keenai company you reference, but the Eye-Fi company website is still active and the product appears to be supported. (LINK). I suggest you check their site to see if there are any changes to their product support." The problem with this statement is that The Eye-Fi website does not seem to tell much other than they have something called a Mobi-Pro, but no other details or how to contact them for support. I cannot download an Eye-Fi application anymore. Please help with other WIFI solutions that do not require me to buy a new camera.All I really want to do is when I take a picture with my camera, I can see it show up on my tablet so I know how good the picture is and can adjust my settings accordingly.
7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sorry but the best solution is buy a new Rebel with wi-fi built in.  I didn't even know Eye-fi was still in business....anywhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Toshiba has a FlashAir product. According to their website it has incorporated EyiFi capability.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks...I see that, trying to get confirmation that this works before buying it.

@cprim72 wrote:
Thanks...I see that, trying to get confirmation that this works before buying it.

Wi-Fi is a waste of time on entry level DSLRs.  It does not live up to people’s expectations.  

It is slower than a USB cable.  It is only good for transferring small JPEGs to a smart device, so you can share it on social media.  In other words, the DSLR becomes a “high performance” substitute for the camera built into your smart device.

My advice is do not waste time and money making a Rebel T5 Wi-Fi enabled.  If you want a “Wi-Fi” ready camera then buy one that already has it built in.  Be forewarned that “Wi-Fi Enabled” does not directly translate into “networkable.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I get your point, but please understand that (while I can take generally good pictures) I am not a professional or heavy user of my camera so spending several hundred more dollars for, say, an EOS T6 or T7 just to get WIFI capability is not a good investment for me right now, especially when the T6 is really a slightly upgraded EOS T5 with WIFI capability from what I can see. All I want to do is to be able to take a picture on my camera and see the picture on my tablet so I can get a very good and real time view of my pictures so I know if I need to make adjustments, rather than to find out I spent the whole day taking bad pictures or my pictures could have been better. Here is a sample of what I can do with my EOS T5 and the Eye-Fi Card (which is now supported by Keenai, which is discontinuing service on this soon). https://app.keenai.com/s/46916411-2-9hlt41GN8hoxKVJ2

@cprim72 wrote:
I get your point, but please understand that (while I can take generally good pictures) I am not a professional or heavy user of my camera so spending several hundred more dollars for, say, an EOS T6 or T7 just to get WIFI capability is not a good investment for me right now, especially when the T6 is really a slightly upgraded EOS T5 with WIFI capability from what I can see. All I want to do is to be able to take a picture on my camera and see the picture on my tablet so I can get a very good and real time view of my pictures so I know if I need to make adjustments, rather than to find out I spent the whole day taking bad pictures or my pictures could have been better. Here is a sample of what I can do with my EOS T5 and the Eye-Fi Card (which is now supported by Keenai, which is discontinuing service on this soon).

You are correct.  A T6 does seem to be a T5 with the addition of Wi-Fi.  A T7 seems to be a T6 with a higher resolution sensor.  But, they both have functioning Wi-Fi that is supported by Canon.  If your Eye-Fi card works for what you need, that’s GREAT. 

The usage scenario that you describe is pretty much the same as what I describe.  You take one photo at a time, and transfer it to a smart device immediately after taking the shot.  That is really all that Wi-Fi in an entry level DSLR is actually good for.  For transferring large numbers of files at, Wi-Fi is way too slow, much slower than a USB cable.

Many people want to remotely control the camera, which can be done in a limited way.  You cannot control video modes remotely.  You cannot transfer RAW files to some devices, just JPG files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Timesbeach
Apprentice

I came across a possible!e solution

[link removed per forum guidelines]

I haven't tried it but I would like to send an occasional photo to my iPhone 8+.

Announcements