cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T5 - Shutter will not open

sheilacamera
Contributor

Hi - hoping someone can help me.  Alll of a sudden, when I go to take a picture, the camera focuses, and it sounds like it is taking a picture.  However, the pictures are black.  (As if the shutter is not openinbg...)  

I've tried all sorts of trouble shooting - reset settings, changed lenses, charged camera, changed memory stick, etc.  No luck.

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does the viewfinder black out?

What Mode are you shooting in?

Did you try to activate the Movie mode to see what happens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

There is no movie- all black....

Thanks for helping!

Sounds like a stuck mirror or a bad sensor - you did not answer about whether the viewfinder goes black when you try to take a picture. You will probably need to send it to Canon.

Sorry - yes - it goes black but has the white numbers.  (almost like the picture I am taking is a black picture>0

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Not the back screen. When you look through the eyepiece and press the shutter does the eyeviewfinder go black?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sorry - new to this!  When I look through the eye piece - I see what I want to take a photograph of.  The back screen is black.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. Sounds like a mirror problem. Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks - I will send it off!  Much appreciate your help.

Wait. There is no "movie" on the back but you see an image in the "eye piece" and there is a sound like a photo being taken?

Before sending it in, please clarify; are there images on the SD card?  Have you tried uploading images to the computer? It kind of sounds like you are used to shooting in live view using the LCD and it has gotten turned off. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements