cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T3i External Mic Issues

KidLitKat
Apprentice

Hello everyone! I've owned a Canon EOS Rebel  T3i for about a year now and LOVE it. Just recently however I ordered a new lav mic for it and realized it would not use the external settings and only record with the internal mic. At first I blamed the mic, but when I plugged in my other external mic that one too would not work. 

My settings are set to Manual and my camera even says that I am using an external mic, but when I record all I hear is distortion. Is there a solution to this? I am on YouTube and post videos weekly so I need this fixed ASAP. 

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you try lowering the gain?

Does your mic need phantom power?

Yes! And no it doesn't. Each mic that I have works perfectly, but then decided to stop working. I realized this issue was occuring a few weeks ago and thought it might just be the mic, but I never had mic issues before. The handheld mic I use always works, and all I had to do was plug it in. But now it stopped working and the internal mic takes over. 

My handheld mic also uses phantom power, but the camera still uses the internal mic.

You can try looking in the socket and see if there is a piece of paper or something blocking it.

Otherwise, try setting the camera to factory defaults and try again. If that does not work it is probably the camera.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"My settings are set to Manual and my camera even says that I am using an external mic, but when I record all I hear is distortion. Is there a solution to this? I am on YouTube and post videos weekly so I need this fixed ASAP. " 

If all that you hear is distortion, then it is possible that you may have the external microphones miswired, especially if they are microphones with balanced outputs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your reply. I have distiortion with and without the microphones. At first when I used the microphones everything was crystal clear, but recently even when I plug in the mics all I hear is sizzle, distortion and the internal mic. It's like it can't recognize the external mic. 

Announcements