cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 or T3i?

WolfheartFilms
Contributor

Hello,

I am interested in getting a DSLR for filming purposes. I can currently afford the SL1 or the T3i. I would be buying a kit from Costco.

What I wanted to ask was which is betting for filming?

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

For a beginner I would recommend the SL1 for making videos because it has the most up to date continuous Hybrid CMOS AF II Video Auto Focus. Just make sure that they include the 18-55 STM lens and not the older, cheaper 18-55 IS, 18-55 IS II, or 18-55 III lens.   

If you plan to do manual focus, the T3i might be better because it does have the flip out screen which can be handy. Keep in mind though that the T3i dates back to 2011 and no longer a current model.  

The T3i was replaced by the T4i and that was replaced by the T5i.  Some people actually prefer the SL1 to the T5i. 

Mike Sowsun

Can the SL1 do manual focus to? I just like the idea of manually doing it with the lens, instead of letting the camera do it.

Yes, the SL1 can do Manual focus. You just turn off the Auto Focus on the lens itself. 

Mike Sowsun

They are pretty similar in performance.  The main feature difference is the flip screen (T3i) vs touch screen (SL1).  I'd prefer the flip for video, but it's a subjective thing.  I also prefer the bigger size, but again, subjective.  Truthfully, given how close the performance is between the two models, I’d base my decision off of how I liked the feel of both the cameras, as well as price.

I'm not sure how into video you intend to get.  If you're just playing around shooting friends and whatnot, or doing controlled scenes that were planned out ahead of time.  Forgive me for a lack of better term, but “serious” videographers, those that plan out the scene and lighting and whatnot, rarely if ever use autofocus.  No more than they use the camera to record sound.  So the AF video features of the SL1 mean nothing.  If you’re just starting out it might be of use, but it’s something to consider.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements